The most fascinating thing about these vegetables is that they are just as healthy as they are beautiful. They’re chock full of magnesium, fiber, vitamins A, B, and C, iron, phosphorus, potassium, beta carotene, and folic acid. They’re also known as a blood purifier and a liver detoxifier. A fun fact: the beet greens are edible as well, so think twice before throwing them away!
Add kale into the mix and you’ve got yourself a nutrient powerhouse. Kale is high in iron, vitamins K, A, and C, fiber, calcium, and antioxidants. All of this for only 33 calories per cup, it really can’t be beat. (I swear that wasn’t a beet pun).
So the next time you want to feel like the healthiest person in the world, whip this up as a meal or a side dish. Rosemary and beets are a perfect match for each other, but feel free to play around with your favorite spices and herbs. Then rejoice! Your body is now ready for anything.
- 6 large leaves of kale (stalks omitted)
- 3 beets
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp rosemary (or more, to taste)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut stalks and greens off of beets, then peel and chop into 1” cubes.
- Mix 1 tbsp olive oil, beet cubes, rosemary, sea salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Transfer beet mixture to baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until beets are tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- 10 minutes before the beets are ready, rip kale leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add either a small amount of olive oil or water into a pan, and sauté kale and minced garlic on medium heat until wilted.
- Place kale onto a plate, and then add the beets on top.
- Serve and enjoy!!
DELICIOUS! Keep those vegetables and fruits recipes coming they are delicious and unique. Is maple syrup and honey Paleo? I would like to see some recipes with that.
My sister got me involved with Paleo one week ago. Absolutely love Paleo and I don’t feel like I am dieting which I have done a long long time. I feel better than I have in over a year. Don’t even miss the dairy or sugar like I thought I would. Love the recipes especially vegetables. Thank you so much for all your hard work, it is appreciated.
Can you tell me if the pre cooked beet you buy in shops ( cooked and packed…ugh! ) still contains the nutrients you mention , as it is very hard to get fresh ones here…..
Beets peel so much easier after parboiling. I would add this step before cutting and roasting.