Prepare any and all of your favorite root vegetables to go in the baking dish with the chicken. I used sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, and a small red onion. These provide plenty of color and extra flavor for the dish. Use enough vegetables to fill in the dish around the chicken. Then drizzle the slightly sweet glaze over everything and use a brush or your hands to make sure everything gets coated.
The baking time for this hearty dish will depend on your oven, the size of the chicken, and how much is piled in the pan. My dish took 40 minutes to cook, but it could be a bit more or less. During the baking process, turn the vegetables once and baste everything with the juices in the pan.
The meal ready to serve when the chicken skin is crisp and the vegetables are tender. Also check the temperature of the chicken to make sure that it is cooked through. Then the dish is ready for the dinner table.
There is an additional option for garnishing the chicken dinner. I added crumbled bacon over the top. This extra step makes another dirty pan and therefore it is no longer a one-dish meal, so I understand if you skip it. I just couldn’t resist adding a bit of bacon for another layer of salty flavor. This home-cooked chicken dinner requires little effort to make and is easy to clean up after. A hearty and comforting meal is easier to achieve than you might believe.
- 1 whole chicken, broken down into sections, skin-on
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, wedged
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 slices bacon, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken skin-side up into a 9x13-inch baking dish or roasting tin. Add the sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, and red onion. Drizzle everything with the olive oil mixture and rub well to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with rosemary sprigs. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, turning the vegetables once halfway through and basting the chicken.
- If desired, place the bacon into a large skillet and cook until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate and crumble. Remove the rosemary sprigs from the chicken dish and sprinkle with bacon. Serve warm.