The gluten free cookies in this recipe happen to be in the shape of hearts, for a certain holiday coming up in February (hence the pink frosting as well). But as like regular sugar cookies, these can be cut out into whatever shape you desire. It is a great recipe to keep on file for when the holidays roll around. Be it shapes of Santa or hearts or stars; these cookies will be a guaranteed hit.
This recipe is a little more difficult than some other cookies because you actually have to roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Also, be extra careful when transferring cookies to the baking sheet so that they don’t fall apart.
For the frosting, I first melted some white chocolate and thinned it out with coconut oil, then added pureed strawberries to give it the pink coloring. I used white chocolate in order to achieve the pink look I wanted for the cookies, since their intended purpose was for a Valentine’s party. (Some of the cookies didn’t make it to the party because they were too good.) Since most people do not consider white chocolate Paleo, you can leave that part out of your recipe if you choose. There are many different kinds of Paleo frosting options that you can substitute instead.
I could not stop eating these delicious sweet cookies and I’m betting neither will you. Just in time for that day in February to show someone an extra bit of love.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Orange zest from half an orange
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- For the frosting
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pureed strawberries
- In a medium bowl, mix the coconut oil, eggs, and honey together with a hand mixer. Mix in the orange zest and vanilla. Add in the coconut flour and baking soda and stir with a spatula. Place the dough in the refrigerator to harden for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the chilled dough between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Let cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave, stirring regularly. Remove from the microwave and slowly mix in the pureed strawberries until desired color is achieved. Spread over the cookies as soon as they are done baking.
Want more paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 categories, it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.