These banana breakfast bars are dense and filling. I would say that they are denser than banana bread, and not at all dry and crunchy like a granola bar. And the strawberry jam adds just a bit of sweetness. Strawberries and bananas are a classic combination so I knew they would work well together in this recipe. You can also swap in different fruit jams, such as blueberry or raspberry. Melted chocolate might even work, though I don’t usually have chocolate for breakfast.
The main ingredients for these breakfast bars are all blended together in a food processor. This is the best way to fully break down the walnuts and coconut flakes, and to incorporate the bananas. Blend everything for at least a minute – the mixture will be quite thick. Then transfer it to a standard loaf pan and smooth into an even layer with a spatula. This bottom layer should then be baked (on its own) for 25 minutes.
The next step is to toast some coconut flakes. This only takes a few minutes, after which the remaining chopped walnuts can be stirred in to the pan. This combination makes the nutty and sweet topping for the bars.
After the bottom layer has finished baking, remove the pan from the oven. Now comes the fun job of spreading a thin layer of sweet, sticky jam over the banana mixture. The toasted coconut flakes and walnuts should then be sprinkled on top. Place everything back into the oven to bake together for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the bars look golden brown.
At this point, remove the loaf pan from the oven. Let it completely cool before slicing into bars. I prefer the breakfast bars cold, so I highly recommend refrigerating them for at least half an hour before serving. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Enjoy the bars with a large cup of coffee in the morning or as you are on your way to school or work. They are very easy to make on a Sunday night before the workweek kicks in. They will help you get through the morning in a sweet, unprocessed, and satisfying way.
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Place one cup walnuts and one cup coconut flakes into a food processor. Pulse to break down. Add the bananas, vanilla, and salt and blend until the mixture is completely combined. Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth out. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining coconut flakes in a skillet over medium heat. Toast until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Mix in the remaining walnuts.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven and spread a thin layer of jam over the bars. Sprinkle the toasted coconut flake mixture over the top. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before slicing into bars. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
|Vitamin A||0.7 µg|
|Vitamin C||2.2 mg|
|Folic Acid (B9)||5.8 µg|