How to Make Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
Here’s exactly how to make this soul-satisfying spinach artichoke chicken skillet dish:
- Season the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper. After doing this, you can go ahead and prepare your cooking skillet.
- Preheat the olive oil in your skillet.
- Cook the chicken breasts. Add the chicken and cook until browned. Use a thermometer to be sure, but on average this will take about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Cook the onion and garlic. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside for now. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth. Add your chicken broth mixture (see below) to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Simmer. Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture has thickened to your liking.
- Finish it off. Add the spinach and chopped artichoke hearts and simmer until the spinach has wilted.
- Garnish. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and (optionally) red pepper flakes.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How to Make Your Own Creamy Chicken Sauce
I usually like to make my creamy chicken stock while my chicken breasts are cooking. This is how I make it:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the chicken broth, unsweetened full fat coconut milk, and arrowroot flour to a large measuring glass and mix to combine.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add to the skillet. Add the chicken broth mixture to the skillet and then finish off the recipe as per usual.
Are Skillet Recipes Healthy?
Skillet recipes like this spinach artichoke chicken skillet are incredibly healthy. Here are just a few of my favorite reasons to cook with skillets:
- Well-seasoned skillets provide a natural nonstick coating that allows you to use less cooking oil compared to other options.
- Many commercially available nonstick pans use certain chemicals that may leech into your food. Over time, these toxins may have harmful effects on your health.
- Cooking with cast-iron skillets legitimately provides your food with a minor iron boost. This is especially beneficial for individuals with an iron deficiency. (1)
Can I Freeze Spinach Artichoke Chicken?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this meal. Anything that involves creamy homemade sauces tends to not fare so well during the whole freezing and thawing out process.
Instead, I would recommend simply keeping any leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
How to Reheat This Spinach Artichoke Chicken Without Drying It Out
I usually just use the same skillet to reheat any leftovers I have of this recipe. I leave it out to thaw until it reaches room temperature, then I heat it up on the stove. However, this may dry out your chicken if you don’t keep a close eye on it.
If you’re worried about dried out chicken, then one of the easiest ways to reheat this dish is to simply warm it up in the microwave in a microwave-safe glass dish (NOT in the metal skillet) until it’s heated through. This way, you minimize the risk of overcooking.
More Good One Pan Chicken Skillet Recipes:
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (4-5 oz each)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups packed spinach
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until browned.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup combine the chicken stock, coconut milk and arrowroot flour.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the mixture to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Simmer for 10-15 minuter, stirring frequently or until thicken.
- Add the spinach and chopped artichoke hearts and simmer until spinach is wilted.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and red pepper flakes (if using) and serve.