How to Make the Best Low Carb Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup
I”m so excited when it comes to this soup because it’s so incredibly tasty! I actually have this meal pretty often because it turns out perfectly each time.
It starts with the chicken, onion, garlic, celery, olive oil, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and chili pepper. Season this with some oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and set your slow cooker to low.
With the lid on, cook on low for 4-5 hours. Remove the lid and just watch as your chicken falls apart! It should break apart easily with your fork.
My Cauliflower Soup Turned Out Very Thick –Is This Okay?
In case your cauliflower soup ended up being thicker than you intended, there’s an easy fix for this. Simply add more chicken broth to make it less thick.
I actually don’t mind it when it’s very dense because it could be made into a dip for my paleo tortilla chips. The cauliflower adds a lot of volume to the soup, which really thickens up when there’s not much broth to it. The result is a thick, paste-like consistency that I personally love.
Can I Freeze This Cauliflower Rice Soup?
You can freeze this cauliflower rice soup in a few easy steps. The best way to keep it is to separate the broth from the rest of the soup. You can do this by straining the liquid out and then transferring the wet part of the soup into one container and the ‘dry’ part of the soup into another container.
This will prevent the ingredients in the soup to soak up all the moisture, which leaves you with almost the exactly the same texture when you’re ready to reheat it again.
Is Cauliflower Rice Healthier Than Regular Rice?
The cauliflower rice in this soup is the paleo-approved alternative to white rice. Rice has a high glycemic index (1) which basically means that it can raise your blood sugar levels significantly. Unlike regular white rice, cauliflower has a lower glycemic index thanks to its fiber content, making it the healthier choice not just for paleo dieters but also for people with diabetes or are at risk for obesity.
(Also try: Instant Pot Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 red chili pepper or jalapeno, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, riced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- lime slices (optional)
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Add the chicken, onion, garlic, celery, chili pepper, olive oil, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, oregano and cumin to slow cooker.
- Cover with a lid and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Return the chicken to the pot.
- Add the lime juice, cilantro and cauliflower rice.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Serve warm with avocado and lime slices(if using).
This was so good.