How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
It only takes 10 minutes to prepare a delicious and nourishing shaved Brussels sprouts salad with this easy to follow recipe:
- Prepare the Brussels sprout salad. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts, dried unsweetened cranberries, and chopped pecans to a large bowl and toss to combine. Make sure to use fresh Brussels sprouts for this, not frozen ones.
- Prepare the vinaigrette. Add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard to a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- Toss the salad. Combine the Brussels sprouts, cranberries and pecans with the vinaigrette and toss thoroughly. Make sure each piece is coated with some vinaigrette.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
Never shaved your Brussels sprouts before? It’s actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Here’s how I do it:
- Remove the root of each sprout. Cut off the root end of each of your Brussels sprouts and discard.
- Remove outer leaves. Gently pull off any outer leaves that are loose or that look like they may be rotten.
- Shave the sprouts. Use a sharp knife to cut your shavings. I like to start at the root end and work my way along, making extra fine shavings as I go.
Can I Make This Brussels Sprout Salad Ahead?
You can indeed make this salad recipe ahead of time, but I wouldn’t recommend keeping it for more than a day or two. Brussels sprouts are typically best kept whole until you’re ready to use them, otherwise they’ll start to wilt.
As long as you keep your salad sealed tightly inside of an airtight container, it should keep for 1-2 days just fine in the refrigerator.
What Else Can I Add To Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad?
If you’re looking for suggestions for tasty additions to make to this salad recipe, try some of these additions:
- Sunflower seeds
- Chopped apples
- Organic maple syrup
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Crumbled white cheese
- Slivered almonds
- Sliced grapes
(You may also like: Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts)
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts, shaved
- ½ cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl add the shaved Brussel spouts, cranberries and pecans and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey and mustard.
- Add to the salad and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve.