A Breakfast Classic Made Paleo
Just because this breakfast casserole recipe is incredibly easy to make doesn’t mean that it’s not unbelievably yummy. The secret to this casseroles great taste is the choice of ingredients that go into it. It all starts with the use of one pound of hot ground pork sausage to add that slightly spicy kick to the recipe. You’re going to want to cook the sausage in olive oil until it begins to crumble and it’s no longer pink. Afterwards, remove the sausage from the pan, but be sure to leave the leftover drippings in there. These drippings will help to add just as much flavor as the sausage itself.
Next, add your remaining olive oil and shredded sweet potato. Since white potatoes are off limits while eating paleo, I love using sweet potato to make delicious breakfast hash. Not only do they taste great, but they also provide you with plenty of vitamins, minerals, and they also contain a surprising amount of disease-fighting antioxidants. (1) You’re going to want to cook the potatoes for about 3-5 minutes while stirring them frequently. The next step is going to be stirring them together with your prepared sausage.
With that out of the way, it’s time to prepare the eggs. This recipe calls for the use of six eggs, which I feel is the perfect amount to not only add plenty of flavor, but also make sure that each serving of this casserole is nice and satiating. Make sure to use the whole eggs as well and not just the whites, as there’s no reason to worry about their cholesterol content, since egg cholesterol has an extremely minimal impact on blood levels. (2) On top of that, they’re also an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, and vitamins.
After whisking your eggs together, add in the parsley and continue to whisk the mixture until everything is combined. Parsley is the secret ingredient of this recipe, as it helps to add a noticeable balance to the combination of flavors on offer in this casserole. Not only that, but it’s also packed full of even more antioxidant benefits for you, further boosting the nutritional value of this recipe.
A High Protein Breakfast Has Metabolic Benefits
The paleo diet guidelines offer plenty of benefits on their own, but including certain dietary guidelines such as consuming protein at breakfast has also shown to be beneficial. Studies show that a higher-protein diet helps in reducing body fat while also promoting satiety, which means staying fuller longer. (3)
When you typically think of breakfasts that contain sausage and eggs in tandem, most people don’t usually picture a breakfast option that’s both incredibly tasty while also providing plenty of health benefits. Heck, years ago I wouldn’t have even thought it was possible to enjoy a healthy sausage and egg breakfast casserole. That’s the great thing about the paleo lifestyle though — constantly being surprised with what kinds of foods you can still enjoy in healthier ways.
P.S. – If you’re looking for some more great paleo breakfast casserole ideas, then here’s a few mouth watering recipes for you to try out:
- 1 pound hot ground pork sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 pound sweet potato, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley plus extra for serving
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage, and cook, stirring until the sausage crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Remove the sausage, reserving drippings in pan, and set aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining olive oil and grated sweet potato.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and remove from the heat.
- Stir together the sweet potatoes and sausage.
- Pour into a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs.
- Add parsley and whisk to combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour the eggs evenly over the potato mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with extra fresh parsley and serve.
This is just what I was looking for, it tasted great, thanks for sharing