Roasted Carrots, A Highly Underrated Healthy Snack Option
Vegetables like carrots and celery are extremely common as a quick and easy healthy snack. They’re incredibly convenient and can even be enjoyed raw. However, by taking a bit of added time and roasting your carrots, you end up taking one simple ingredient and making it twice as delicious. Carrots just might actually be one of my favorite vegetables. They’re extremely rich in vitamins A, C, B8, K, potassium, and folate. Carrots also contain beta-carotene which converts into a potent antioxidant that provides some fantastic benefits for your health. (1)
Not only does roasting your carrots make them even tastier, but this recipe even adds a delicious homemade glaze as well. By combining orange juice, honey, olive oil, and garlic you can easily make an absolutely perfect glaze to add to your carrots in a matter of minutes. As healthy as carrots are on their own, you can really give this meal a nutritional boost thanks to all of the vitamins, minerals, and heart-healthy fats found in this glaze. After cooking them, simply add some fresh thyme and black pepper for seasoning and they are ready to serve.
Once you try out these perfectly roasted carrots with the honey and orange glaze, you’ll never want to eat raw carrots as a snack again. The way that the glaze caramelizes the skin on the carrots makes them so good they are to die for. It’s hard to believe that these are so good for you.
This recipe is highly recommended for kids who aren’t too fond of vegetables. One bite and they’ll be asking for more.
P.S. – While these roasted carrots make the perfect snack to make thanks to their simplicity, they are far from the only healthy snack you can make using carrots. Check out some of these other great carrot recipes on the site:
- 1 pound young carrots, peeled, 1/2 inch of the green tops left on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl place the olive oil, orange juice, garlic, salt and honey and mix to combine.
- Place the carrots on the prepared baking sheet and toss with honey-orange mixture.
- Spread into a single layer and roast for 25 minutes or until fork tender. Roast longer for more caramelization.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme and freshly ground black pepper and serve.