Make Your Own Paleo Crepes from Scratch
In order to come up with a suitably flaky pastry offering, these crepes are made entirely from scratch with paleo-approved ingredients. You’ll be avoiding many of the common ingredients that go into making crepes, such as sugar and refined flour. In their place, coconut flour and arrowroot flour are combined with almond milk, eggs, and coconut oil to make mouthwatering crepes that you’ll be stacking on top of each other to produce these lovely looking crepe cakes.
Homemade Paleo Raspberry Jam (Just 4 Ingredients!)
In between, you’ll be layering in some delicious homemade raspberry jam. The jam is extremely simple to prepare and only includes four ingredients. Frozen raspberries, lemon zest, honey, and chia seeds are all you need to make a tasty jam that’s better than anything you’ll find on store shelves. Surprisingly for such a sweet treat, it’s packed with health benefits as well. The raspberries are high in vitamin C, antioxidants, and ellagic acid. All of these properties combine to help prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, age-related decline, and lower inflammation. (1)
Chia Seeds – The Secret Ingredient
And then there’s the chia seeds. These tiny little superfood seeds are terrific for so many paleo recipes, finding a use in everything from puddings to smoothies. They also help make one mean raspberry jam in this recipe. Just like the berries, they are rich in antioxidants. They are also excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, and fiber. The honey and lemon zest is added in to give this jam just that little bit of extra flavor as well. This recipe makes enough jam along with the 12 crepes to make four yummy looking crepe cakes once they are all stacked together.
These crepe cakes are one of my favorite things in the entire world –a deliciously sweet dessert that I can enjoy guilt-free because I know it’s actually good for me as well. To make these crepe cakes even better, you can also make a chocolate glaze with paleo approved dark chocolate and coconut oil. Just melt them together and pour over the top of the cakes.
P.S.Paleo desserts are so fun to make once you realize that you can still enjoy some yummy treats even if they’re made with all natural ingredients. Sometimes it’s just a matter of trying out different recipes and seeing which one suits your taste buds the best. Don’t be afraid to try different flavor combinations and textures because there are so many out there, you’re bound to find some that you’ll end up loving. Some of my personal favorites include:
#1 – Raspberry Eton Mess
- For the crepes
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups almond milk
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- For the raspberry jam
- 3 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- For the chocolate glaze (optional)
- 2 oz paleo approved dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- fresh raspberries for decoration (optional)
- To make the raspberry jam, place the frozen raspberries, lemon zest and honey in a saucepan and cook, string occasionally until start to bubble.
- Stir in the chia seeds.
- Reduce the heat and stir constantly until thickened. Remove form the heat and set side.
- To make the crepes, combine the coconut flour and arrowroot flour with pinch of salt in a bowl. Whisk the eggs and almond milk in another bowl.
- Slowly add the coconut flour mixture and whisk until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
- Heat the coconut oil in an 8 inch non-stick fry pan over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into the pan and swirl to cover base.
- Cook until the top of the crepe is no longer wet and the bottom has turned light brown.
- Run a spatula around the edge of the pan to loosen then flip and cook for 1 minute or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make 12 crepes.
- To assemble the crepe cake, place 1 crepe on cake plate. Spread with thin layer of raspberry jam. Repeat layering with remaining crêpes and raspberry jam.
- To make the glaze, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the glaze over the crepe cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries (if using) and serve.
|Vitamin A||69.9 µg|
|Vitamin C||14.3 mg|
|Folic Acid (B9)||35 µg|