Classic Tomato Sauce Taste
I love this recipe because it ends up tasting exactly like any tomato sauce you would find in stores. The only difference is the peace of mind I get knowing exactly what went into making the sauce. And make no mistake – this sauce features nothing but all-natural ingredients to provide that classic tomato sauce taste. It’s got everything that you could hope to find in a good sauce: tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, and basil. Honey is added to thicken the sauce and provide a bit of sweetening as well.
Why Use a Slow Cooker?
A slow cooker is easy to operate and can turn inexpensive cuts of meat into gourmet-style meals. For this recipe, all of the ingredients are cooked in a slower cooker for 10-12 hours. I prefer leaving it to cook overnight, but you could also start it early in the morning to have a delectable tomato sauce ready to go for the evening when you get home from work.
Ever since I found this recipe, I’ve been making an effort to cook my own homemade tomato sauce at least once every week or two. Not only is it delicious when added to paleo-approved pasta dishes, but it’s amazingly beneficial for your health as well. The carotenoids found in tomatoes have been shown to reduce the risk of several different chronic diseases. (1)
This sauce is best enjoyed as soon as it’s warm and ready, but you’ll be glad to know that it can safely be frozen for up to six months. It also stays good in the fridge for up to one week as well, meaning this sauce is incredibly convenient to prepare in advance of any dinner parties you may be planning. And again, keep in mind that if the sauce is a little too strong tasting for you, you are free to add more honey to adjust the taste until it’s more to your liking.
P.S. – If you’re looking for some more great paleo pasta meals to enjoy, here are a few of my favorite recipes to get you started:
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp minced fresh basil
- salt, black pepper to taste
- honey to sweeten if needed
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 5 min.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- In a slow cooker add the tomatoes, onion garlic mixture, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, honey and ½ tsp salt. Mix to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and taste.
- If the flavor is sharp and acidic, add a little honey and taste again. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve immediately, or pour the hot sauce in a clean jars, cover with a lid the allow to cool at room temperature and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Sauce can also be frozen in sealed containers for up to 6 months.