I absolutely love making my own homemade paleo versions of classic sauces and dips. A good sauce can take an otherwise somewhat bland meal and transform it into a culinary delight. Take tomato sauce for instance. It’s such a classic staple in so many pasta dishes. However, when you’re on a paleo diet, you have to make sure that the tomato sauce you use is paleo-approved from top to bottom. I’d rather make it myself so that I know exactly what goes into it. This recipe for an easy 5 ingredient overnight tomato sauce has all the classic ingredients you’d expect to find in a tomato sauce with no artificial additives.
Classic Tomato Sauce Taste
I love this recipe because it ends up tasting exactly like any tomato sauce you would find in stores. The only difference is the peace of mind I get knowing exactly what went into making the sauce. And make no mistake – this sauce features nothing but all-natural ingredients to provide that classic tomato sauce taste. It’s got everything that you could hope to find in a good sauce: tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, and basil. Honey is added to thicken the sauce and provide a bit of sweetening as well.
Why Use a Slow Cooker?
A slow cooker is easy to operate and can turn inexpensive cuts of meat into gourmet-style meals. For this recipe, all of the ingredients are cooked in a slower cooker for 10-12 hours. I prefer leaving it to cook overnight, but you could also start it early in the morning to have a delectable tomato sauce ready to go for the evening when you get home from work.
Ever since I found this recipe, I’ve been making an effort to cook my own homemade tomato sauce at least once every week or two. Not only is it delicious when added to paleo-approved pasta dishes, but it’s amazingly beneficial for your health as well. The carotenoids found in tomatoes have been shown to reduce the risk of several different chronic diseases. (1)
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp minced fresh basil
- salt, black pepper to taste
- honey to sweeten if needed
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 5 min.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- In a slow cooker add the tomatoes, onion garlic mixture, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, honey and ½ tsp salt. Mix to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and taste.
- If the flavor is sharp and acidic, add a little honey and taste again. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve immediately, or pour the hot sauce in a clean jars, cover with a lid the allow to cool at room temperature and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Sauce can also be frozen in sealed containers for up to 6 months.
P.S. – If you’re looking for some more great paleo pasta meals to enjoy, here are a few of my favorite recipes to get you started:
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- Sausage, Kale, and Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Paleo “Spaghetti” with Meat Sauce
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).