How to Make a One Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken Skillet
Here’s exactly how to make this one pot Tuscan chicken skillet, complete with directions for making your own homemade chicken stock mixture as well:
- Season the chicken before cooking. Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the chicken. Add the chicken breasts to a preheated skillet and cook until browned, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken. Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook the garlic and onion. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken stock. Use a large measuring cup to combine the chicken bone broth, coconut milk, arrowroot flour, mustard, Italian seasoning blend, and nutritional yeast.
- Season. Season the stock mixture with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the stock mixture to the skillet. Add the stock mixture to the skillet and then return the chicken breasts to the skillet.
- Simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Finish it off. Add the chopped baby spinach and chopped sun dried tomatoes and simmer until the spinach has wilted and the tomatoes are softened.
- Garnish. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
2 Quick Tips for Cooking Chicken Breasts
If you’re having trouble cooking your chicken breasts properly without drying them out, be sure to keep these 2 simple tips in mind to cook perfectly moist breasts each and every time:
- Flatten the chicken pieces. Flattening your chicken breasts out to an even thickness before seasoning them. Since chicken breasts tend to be of uneven size, flattening them out to an even thickness helps to ensure even cooking times for each breast.
- Check the internal temperature of your chicken. Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken breasts to ensure it reaches 165°F.
Can I Freeze This Creamy Tuscan Chicken?
You can absolutely freeze leftovers of this Tuscan chicken skillet.
You’ll of course first want to make sure you’ve allowed any leftovers of the dish to cool completely. You can then transfer the leftovers into a heavy duty freezer-safe container to put in the freezer, where they will keep for up to 30 days.
When you’re ready to reheat your leftovers, I would recommend thawing it out in the fridge before reheating in the oven at 350℉ until warmed through.
Other Proteins to Try With This Recipe
This Tuscan-inspired recipe works quite well with more than just chicken. Be sure to try it out with the following protein sources as well:
- Boneless pork chops
(You may also like: Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (4 -5 oz each)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper or to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until browned.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup combine the chicken stock, coconut milk, arrowroot flour, mustard, Italian seasoning and nutritional yeast.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the mixture to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Simmer for 10-15 minuter, stirring frequently or until thicken.
- Add the spinach and chopped dried tomato and simmer until spinach is wilted and tomatoes are softened.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.