Homemade Sweet and Spicy Salsa Mixture
If I’m being perfectly honest, this recipe would be just fine with the roasted chicken thighs and brussels sprouts, but after coating them in paprika and olive oil, they become even better. Why stop there though? The roasted red pepper salsa really elevates this dish to something else entirely.
It all begins with a base that already starts out sweet and tangy as you combine apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, and olive oil in a bowl. It’s an incredible blend of flavors that is further enhanced by the addition of the red peppers and parsley. Some people are surprised to learn that bell peppers are fantastic sources of vitamin C, along with vitamins A, B6, E and folate. They also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, making them an incredibly healthy ingredient to use in this salsa mix. (1) After mixing them all together, toss the chicken thighs and brussels sprouts in the salsa and serve.
How to Preserve Moisture in Your Chicken
Chicken is notorious for drying out, but there are several ways to prevent it from doing so. For one, the cut of the chicken matters. Are you using white meat (ribs, breast) or dark meat (thigh, leg). Dark meat has a higher fat content, so it is more likely to stay moist and juicy. Also, is the skin on? The skin also contains some fats, so cooking will help release them into the meat. Lastly, it’s important to cook your chicken at the right temperature; not too high, not too low. Use a digital thermometer for this to ensure that you’ve killed off most of the bacteria in your chicken without drying it out.
I love this recipe because it has all the makings of a fancy gourmet dinner despite being surprisingly easy to make. From start to finish, you can have this meal ready in under an hour. Don’t let how easy it is to prepare fool you, however. This is one incredibly tasty dish that combines several different great flavors into one amazing meal.
P.S. – I love making all kinds of different paleo-friendly chicken meal variations so much that I wanted to share a few other great recipes with you guys as well. Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 roasted red peppers (from the jar), chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the chicken thighs and Brussels sprouts on a roasting pan.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika and 2 tbsp of olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 40 – 45 minutes, turning the chicken and Brussels sprouts halfway through, until the chicken is cooked through.
- In a bowl place the apple cider vinegar, remaining olive oil, garlic and honey. Mix to combine.
- Add the roasted peppers and parsley, season to taste with salt and toss to combine.
- Remove the pan from the oven, add the pepper mixture, toss to combine and serve.
Want more paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 categories, it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.