How to Make Low Carb Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This recipe honestly makes the most addictive lemon poppy seed bread that I’ve ever tried. Here’s how I make it:
- Preheat the oven and prepare your baking pan. Preheat your oven to 350℉. Line an 8×4 inch loaf plan with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder to a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs. Use the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to beat the eggs and honey for 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Combine the wet ingredients. Add the melted coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and unsweetened almond milk and beat until well combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Add the almond flour mixture and the poppy seeds into the egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let the bread cool completely.
- (Optional) Glaze. Glaze the bread with the homemade lemon glaze (see details below).
- Serve. Slice and serve.
How to Make Lemon Glaze
I highly recommend making this homemade lemon glaze when you make this lemon poppy seed bread. It’s super quick and easy to make and really brings this recipe together.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the smooth coconut butter, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest to a small bowl.
- Whisk. Whisk the mixture together until well combined.
- Glaze. Glaze the lemon poppy seed bread once it has completely cooled.
2 Great Health Benefits from Eating Low Carb Breads
There are some great health benefits that you can gain by eating low carb breads like this lemon poppy seed bread. Here are 2 big ones that just might surprise you:
- Less inflammation in the body. Studies have found that a type of gluten protein found in wheat based products like regular bread has been linked to inflammation in the body – and not just in individuals who have gluten-intolerance. On the other hand, eating low carb breads might actually help to relieve chronic inflammation within the body. (1)
- Doesn’t cause blood sugar spikes. White bread and other refined carb sources like it are notorious for causing blood sugar spikes and crashes. This makes low carb breads an especially attractive option for individuals with type 2 diabetes. (2)
Can I Freeze This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this lemon poppy seed bread. It’s actually a great recipe for making ahead. I usually bake two loaves; one to enjoy right away and one to freeze for afterwards.
If you want to freeze the bread, you’ll first want to make sure that you’ve allowed it to cool completely. I also would recommend holding off on making the lemon glaze if you’re going to be freezing it.
Once the bread is cool, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. You can then either wrap it again in aluminum foil or simply store it in a freezer-safe bag. You’ll be able to keep this bread frozen for up to 3 months.
(You may also like: Crave-worthy Lemon Blueberry Bread)
- For the bread:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- For the glaze (optional):
- ¼ cup softened and smooth coconut butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line an 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the eggs and honey until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and almond milk and beat until well combined.
- Add in the almond flour mixture and poppy seeds beat until smooth.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While baking, prepare the glaze.
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool completely before glazing.