Your New Favorite Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
Many people do all of their baking with wheat-based refined flours, which is definitely not a good idea as wheat proteins are a major cause of inflammation throughout the body. (1) There has been increasing amounts of evidence pointing towards inflammation actually being the leading cause of many types of chronic diseases.
Luckily, when following a paleo diet, wheat and whole grains are off the menu anyway. In their place, paleo followers can use great alternative ingredients like almond flour and coconut flour. They’re a much better baking option as each of these types of flour is packed full of essential nutrients that actually help to lower inflammation instead of cause it.
This bread recipe is no exception as you’ll be mixing almond flour, coconut flour, and baking soda together to start. Afterwards, in a separate bowl, combine your eggs, almond milk, mashed bananas, coconut oil, honey, and lemon zest together. These ingredients help to round out the paleo-friendly bread dough without having to add unhealthier items like sugar, dairy milk, and vegetable oil that are commonly used in bread recipes. After mixing these ingredients together, pour them into your prepared flour mixture to combine them.
With that out of the way, it’s time to add in the blueberries. The reason I prefer this bread over banana bread is because I’ve always been a huge blueberry lover. They’re an amazing source of nutrition, featuring lots of vitamin B6 and C, folate, potassium, and fiber. Blueberries are also held in high regard due to the potent amount of antioxidants that they contain, and they’ve even demonstrated certain anti-cancer properties. (2) After folding the blueberries in, it’s time to bake your loaf of bread. It will be ready in about one hour or whenever you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean.
If you’re a huge fan of baked goods like blueberry pie or blueberry muffins, then you’re going to absolutely love this paleo blueberry bread. This bread is utterly perfect when it’s warmed up with some grass fed butter or drizzled with your choice of honey or maple syrup.
PS. As I mentioned, I love blueberries, and I especially love using them in paleo recipes in particular. Here are a few of my favorite recipes that make use of blueberries that you guys should check out:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, almond milk, honey, coconut oil, mashed bananas and lemon zest.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown, then tent with foil and bake for another 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.