Cauliflower soup is very simple and affordable. I didn’t intentionally start eating a mostly vegetarian diet, but it has turned out to be so. When I moved to the city and meat became much more expensive than I was used to, I found myself gravitating toward veggies more and more. And cauliflower has become a staple, mainly because one head of cauliflower can stretch over a few meals, and because it fills me up. Versatile and easy to prepare, cauliflower is a regular in my kitchen now.
I turn to cauliflower a lot more in the winter, partially because many other fresh vegetables are all out of season, and partially because it’s so hearty and comforting. This isn’t one of those soups that are best served as an appetizer; rather it has a lot of substance and is satisfying as a meal on its own. This soup is perfect for a cold blustery day, when you are look for some hot food to keep your insides warm. It’s also not too heavy, which is a welcoming aspect for post-holiday meals.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spread out the onion and cauliflower in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until golden, stirring once.
- Place the cauliflower and onions in a large pot and add the chicken stock. Stir in the coriander, turmeric, cumin, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree ingredients in the pot until smooth. (Alternatively, carefully transfer to a blender.) Stir in the coconut milk and warm the soup to serve. Taste to adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve with roasted cashews and top with parsley.
Want more paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 categories, it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.