Homemade Mayonnaise Makes For a Delicious Paleo-Friendly Dressing
Mayonnaise is used in so many people’s favorite dishes that it can be extremely distressing having to give it up when switching over to a paleo lifestyle. Fortunately, there are plenty of paleo mayonnaise recipes online, including this herbed one. Simply omit the oregano and rosemary from the recipe if you want plain mayonnaise.
Cucumber and Fresh Dill Add Some Bite To This Coleslaw
Cucumbers are one of my favorite greens to use in smoothies, salads, and many other types of paleo recipes. They are extremely low in calories but hold a lot of water in them, which means they are good for satiety and volume. They also contain potent phytochemicals and antioxidants that have been shown to have many therapeutic health effects in humans. (1) They help your body naturally detox, provide plenty of vitamins and minerals, and even have many great benefits for keeping your skin looking young and healthy. Most importantly, they make for tasty additions to any cole slaw recipe including this one.
Fresh dill is another great paleo ingredient that can be used in many different recipes. And just like cucumbers, they add a great taste to this coleslaw while providing you with many great health benefits. Dill has been studied extensively along with several other types of herbs and spices due to their potential to prevent and treat cancer. (2) Fresh dill is commonly found in sauces, vinegars, soups and breads. It pairs well with vegetables, meat and seafood.
Once you try out this cucumber cabbage cole slaw for yourself, you’ll see exactly what I mean when I say that coleslaw doesn’t have to just be another boring side dish. By using homemade mayonnaise or any paleo mayonnaise variation as your dressing, you’ll be able to continue to enjoy many great types of coleslaws, salads, and sandwiches.
P.S. – If you regularly enjoy coleslaw as a side with many of your meals, you’re probably going to want to switch it up on occasion to enjoy a bit of variety. Not to worry as I’ve got plenty of excellent paleo-friendly coleslaw recipes that you can enjoy. Here are a few of my favorites:
- This paleo coleslaw uses avocado as a homemade dressing as a mayonnaise replacement and it’s so good that you won’t even notice the mayo is missing.
- This homemade coleslaw is incredibly easy to make and uses a delightful mix of different vegetables that you’re sure to enjoy.
- This collard green paleo slaw (also known as Super Slaw) is another great recipe that makes fantastic use of collard greens to produce an incredibly tasty coleslaw that’s a perfect side to compliment any meal.
- 2 small cucumber
- 1 ½ pound cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2/3 cup paleo approved or homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers, cut them in half then remove the seeds using a teaspoon. Chop the cucumbers into 1/6 inch thick pieces.
- In a bowl, add shredded cabbage, cucumbers, dill, mayonnaise, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.