Superfood Chocolate Pie
You may find this hard to believe, but this chocolate pie is not only so good that it’s sure to become a household staple, it’s also filled with ingredients that offer a multitude of health benefits. Assuming that one of the reasons you’re following a paleo diet is for overall health and longevity, this chocolate pie will help reduce cellular damage, increase good cholesterol levels, lower bad cholesterol levels, and reduce risk of heart disease.
While coconut oil may be high in saturated fats, you have no reason to be apprehensive, as saturated fats have even been shown to have inverse effects on cardiovascular disease. They’re nowhere near as bad as many people have been led to believe all these years, hence the inclusion of coconut products in the paleo diet. The saturated fats found in coconut oil are actually an excellent source of medium-chain triglycerides, a type of fat that may actually burn body fat and help individuals with their weight loss efforts. (1)
Cacao powder is another nutritional powerhouse. It features an unbelievable amount of antioxidants per 100-gram serving at more than 40 times the antioxidant content of blueberries. It’s also high in vitamins and minerals that your body needs, including calcium, iron, and magnesium. Best of all? It lets you enjoy that sweet, sweet chocolate flavor in all of your favorite paleo desserts.
Use a Food Processor for the Perfect Flaky Crust
Making the crust is easy as pie (pun intended!) when you have a food processor. Combine the ingredients and pulse until they are well incorporated but not overmixed. Sometimes mixing by hand can end up with an uneven mix of ingredients, which could affect the overall texture of the crust. Half a centimeter thick is the ideal thickness of the pie crust before baking, so make sure you have the right-sized pan.
Apple pie, blueberry pie, coconut cream pie, even chocolate pie –it’s hard not to love pie when there are so many options to choose from. And thanks to some carefully chosen ingredients, it’s completely possible to still enjoy having a slice of pie even after switching to a paleo style diet.
This isn’t the only great paleo pie recipe that we have either. As a matter of fact, we’ve got something for every pie lover out there. Here are a few other great pie-related recipes that you might enjoy:
#3 – Berry Chocolate Pie
#4 – Grandma’s Apple Pie in a Jar – (a crowd favorite!)
- For the crust
- ¾ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 2 ¼ cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil plus extra for greasing
- 1/3 cup honey
- For the filling
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- almond flakes, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease 9-inch pan with extra coconut oil.
- To make the crust, place the almond flour, shredded coconut, coconut oil and honey in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and evenly press the dough onto bottom and up sides of the pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 15- 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- To make the filling, place all the ingredient in a sauce pan and heat over low heat and stir until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender and blend 2-3 minutes on high.
- Pour the filing into the cooled crust and refrigerate for minimum 4 hours.
- Decorate with almond flakes (if using), slice and serve.
|Vitamin C||0.7 mg|
|Folic Acid (B9)||6.6 µg|