How to Make Dark Chocolate Pie
Make the crust: Put the almond flour, shredded coconut, coconut oil, and honey in the food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Transfer the crust dough to a greased pan and gently press the crust dough onto the sides and bottom of the pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Make the chocolate filling: Place all the filling ingredients in a saucepan and heat over low heat. Stir gently until combined. Transfer the mixture to a blender bowl and blend for two to three minutes on high.
Complete the pie: Pour the prepared filling into the cooled base and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours. Decorate with almond flakes, slice, and serve.
Make-Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make-Ahead: Dark chocolate paleo pie will last in the refrigerator for up to three days. Just make sure the pie is covered with a plastic dome to keep it from drying out.
To Freeze: If you want to keep your pie even longer, freeze it. It can be frozen for up to three months, and the best part is that you can eat it frozen, too. Just use a warm, wet knife to cut a slice and enjoy. Alternatively, let your piece defrost on the counter for 30 minutes or defrost the whole dessert in the fridge for one to two hours to share with friends and family.
If you’re looking for more, here are some other pie recipes you’ll love!
#3 – Berry Chocolate Pie
#4 – Grandma’s Apple Pie in a Jar (a crowd favorite!)
- For the crust
- ¾ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 2 ¼ cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil plus extra for greasing
- 1/3 cup honey
- For the filling
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- almond flakes, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease 9-inch pan with extra coconut oil.
- To make the crust, place the almond flour, shredded coconut, coconut oil and honey in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and evenly press the dough onto bottom and up sides of the pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 15- 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- To make the filling, place all the ingredient in a sauce pan and heat over low heat and stir until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender and blend 2-3 minutes on high.
- Pour the filing into the cooled crust and refrigerate for minimum 4 hours.
- Decorate with almond flakes (if using), slice and serve.
Let the pie set: It’s very important to let your pie set for a minimum of four hours to ensure it doesn’t make a huge mess and looks great when served.
Even out the crust: Try to spread the crust as evenly as possible. This will ensure proper baking and prevent soggy spots.
Add toppings: You can spruce up your presentation by adding a teaspoon of coconut whipped cream and some berries on top.
Use a warm, wet knife: A warm, wet knife will easily cut through the filling and crust, leaving beautifully smooth edges in its wake.