Hold the Milk Chocolate
Usually lava cakes are one dessert option that definitely packs on the pounds, as they are loaded with calories and have an extremely high sugar content. That’s probably the only downside to lava cakes though because they’re worth every bite. However, for paleo dieters, there are certain dietary substitutions that must be made. Using cacao powder and three ounces of paleo approved dark chocolate, it’s still possible to enjoy a warm lava cake fresh out of the oven. And the best part of it all is that instead of being loaded with sugar, they strike an amazing balance between nutritious and delicious.
Unlike milk chocolate, there are many health benefits to be found in cacao powder and dark chocolate. They’re both fantastic sources of antioxidants which provide protection from harmful free radical damage to your cells, in turn helping to prevent cardiovascular diseases and even cancer. (1)(2) They also provide a hefty dose of vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. As you can see, these lava cakes are something that you can enjoy completely guilt-free with the knowledge that they actually promote overall health and longevity and offer protection from disease. That’s the best kind of dessert you could ever ask for.
High Protein Lava Cake
Each lava cake contains 1 whole egg, so aside from having several nutritional benefits, it’s actually a well-balanced meal of protein, carbohydrates and fats.
Going paleo doesn’t have to mean you can no longer enjoy some of your favorite guilty pleasure foods. With just the right twist to the ingredients, you can still enjoy all of your favorite dishes, only with the added benefit of no longer feeling guilty about it. These lava cakes are a prime example of that, as instead of giving you a huge sugar high and accompanying crash, they’ll have you feeling healthy and energized instead.
P.S. – I know there are all kinds of chocolate lovers out there who are reading this, and since I’m one of them as well, I wanted to share this huge list of 41 of our best paleo chocolate recipes of all time. Featuring everything from cakes to milkshakes and smoothies, you’re sure to find something to satisfy that sweet tooth.
More Paleo Cake:
Dark Chocolate Coconut Flour Mug Cake (Guilt-Free Recipe)
Pumpkin Paleo Cupcakes with Maple Syrup Frosting (Made with Coconut Flour)
Decadent Chocolate Cake with Ganache
32 Yummy Paleo Cakes (Gluten-Free)
- ½ cup cacao powder, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 3 oz paleo approved dark chocolate (no sugar, no dairy added), chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 4 ramekins with the extra coconut oil and dust with the extra cacao and place them on a baking tray. Set aside.
- Place the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Place the eggs, honey, pure vanilla extract, cacao powder and chocolate mixture in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Divide between the ramekins.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until puffed.
- Gently turn out the cakes immediately and serve.
This lava cake looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
I think I overbaked it a little, but it was still lava inside. The outside didn’t taste the greatest but the center was like brownie batter. I ate it with frozen fruit and coconut milk. I also used butter instead of oil. Thank you for the recipe! I’ll be making it again. Maybe for lunch.