Perhaps one of the best things Paleo has going for it is that you can still have chocolate. It’s easy to stick to it when you can have some chocolate without feeling guilty or that you’re ruining your progress. It’s all about how it’s prepared, and this cake lacks any refined sugar, grains, or dairy but still maintains the sort of epic flavor you expect from a chocolatey cake.
The first thing to switch out from a traditional cake recipe is the all-purpose flour. It’s part of the reason you feel so crummy after eating regular cake. Using almond flour instead will leave you feeling good after you have this cake, and since it’s full of fiber you’ll actually end up feeling satisfied after having a regular serving.
And since there’s natural sources of sweetness you won’t be craving piece after piece like you do when a ton of refined sugar is poured into the cake batter. To sweeten this cake there’s raw honey, which actually has health benefits rather than being toxic to the body.
For the ganache it’s a matter of using a combination of raw cocoa butter and raw cocoa powder to form the perfect chocolate creation without the need for any milk chocolate. Milk chocolate uses dairy and adds in a lot of sugar in order to make it super sweet. In order to account for that lack of sugar we’ll use some more raw honey in the ganache.
The ganache serves as a filling between layers and also as the frosting on top. This means the cake is entirely coated with amazing chocolate flavor, plus has the added bonus of a nice surprise once you slice into the cake. Seeing the layers of chocolate ganache between the chocolate cake is a feast for the eyes. Psychologically this is sending massive signals to the brain that all is well, since chocolate cake is still on the menu.
Success with any healthy eating program begins and ends with the brain. Get it on board with what you’re doing and there’s no stopping you. If you’re constantly at odds with your brain and wrestling with cravings, relying on willpower to get you through, you’re in trouble. Paleo is great because of the harmony it produces and the lack of back and forth that’s involved in eating good food that’s good for you.
I’ll make this chocolate cake to enjoy with friends, and sometimes I’ll just make it and store the rest so I can have some during the week. It’s uncanny how real food like this really satisfies your craving, and you can have just one slice without wanting another and another.
- For the cake
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- 8 tbsp finely ground almond flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- For the filling
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup raw cocoa butter
- 1/3 cup raw cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- For decoration
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Line an 8 inch spring-form pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with honey and vanilla extract for about 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Combine the almond flour, cocoa powder and baking powder, then gently fold into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into spring-form pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Remove cake and set aside to cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the spring-form pan and cut into thirds width-wise with a cake wire cutter or a sharp knife.
- To make the filling, place the cocoa butter, coconut milk and honey in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until the cocoa butter is fully melted. Bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Add the cocoa powder and mix well until all ingredients are well incorporated and smooth.
- Let the filling cool for 5 minutes then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until slightly thicken.
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer on a cake stand. Spread the ¼ of filing in an even layer. Stack the next layer and spread it with ¼ of filing. Place the last layer on top and spread the rest of the filling around cake.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Just before serving decorate the cake with chopped hazelnuts if using.