A Perfectly Unique Breakfast Combination
The first thing to do is prepare the chicken wings. You are going to be seasoning them in a bowl that contains salt and paleo-approved hot sauce. This will give them that classic spicy flavor similar to buffalo wings that we all know and love. It doesn’t stop there, however, as the next step is to combine almond flour, garlic powder, and salt together. You will be dredging your wings in this savory mixture before dipping them into the eggs and finally the shredded coconut. This all adds up to chicken wings that are absolutely bursting with delicious flavors — you’ll be able to pick up on the garlic, coconut, and hot sauce with every bite.
Paleo Waffles Made with Almond Flour
While your chicken wings are air frying, you can turn your attention to making the waffles. There’s nothing complicated here, just wholesome healthy ingredients that make delicious paleo waffles in no time flat. You’ll once again be using almond flour and mixing it together with baking soda. Meanwhile in a separate bowl combine two eggs, almond milk, and organic maple syrup. Contrary to what you may think, organic maple syrup can indeed be enjoyed on a paleo diet. Not only is it a natural sweetener, but it also contains plenty of vitamins, amino acids, and phenolic compounds. It’s even been demonstrated to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. (1) All that’s left to do is combine this mixture with the almond flour and baking soda and then use a waffle maker to cook them.
Once your waffles are prepared, serve them warm along with the chicken wings. This is actually an incredibly balanced breakfast meal that is perfect for anyone who is on a paleo diet. It’s high in protein thanks to the chicken wings, and the waffles are completely gluten-free thanks to the use of healthy alternatives to wheat flour. And what a combination of flavors! The chicken wings are perfectly spicy with a delicious blend of a garlic and coconut aftertaste while the waffles are oh so sweet and tasty. I’d recommend drizzling the waffles with raw honey as well to add a bit more sweetness if you’d like.
P.S. – If you’re looking for more great paleo breakfast recipes, we’ve got you covered there. While they might not be quite as unique a combination as chicken wings and waffles, these great recipes will still give you everything you need to start your day off right:
- For the wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tbsp paleo approved hot sauce
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ¾ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 3 eggs
- salt to taste
- For the waffles
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- coconut oil, for greasing
- Split the wings at the joint into wingettes and drumsticks, then discard the wing tips or use for stock.
- In a bowl place the chicken wings, hot sauce and ½ tsp salt and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish combine the almond flour, garlic powder and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and season with salt. Set aside.
- Place the shredded coconut in a shallow plate.
- Dredge each chicken wing in the almond flour mixture then dip into the eggs, followed by the shredded coconut.
- Place the chicken wings on a chopping board and brush with olive oil.
- Preheat a Philips air fryer to 360°F.
- Place the wings in a single layer in the fry basket and insert into the air fryer.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket.
- Repeat this process with the remaining wings.
- While you are frying, prepare the waffles.
- In a bowl combine almond flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl add the eggs, almond milk and maple syrup. Whisk until combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently with rubber spatula until well incorporated.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Spread a little coconut oil on both sides of waffle maker and pour just enough batter to fill the bottom part, do not overfill. Cook for 4-6 minute or until golden brown and easy to separate from the waffle iron. (cooking time depends on the heat of your waffle maker).
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm chicken wings with waffles.