I grated my cauliflower by hand, but it can be done faster in a food processor. Don’t be afraid to try this if you don’t have a food processor, it took me less than two minutes to grate the entire head of cauliflower without one. Using the larger side of a cheese grater creates the perfect rice-sized pieces of cauliflower.
This recipe creates very standard cauliflower rice, but feel free to switch it up by adding in your favorite vegetables and spices. You can create Mexican rice, fried rice, or herbed rice with a few switches of ingredients. Try adding a bit of vegetable broth to create a more complex flavor, or make it heartier with a smidge of melted ghee. This recipe is a staple that’s perfect as a side dish as-is, but leaves room for a multitude of other recipes using this as a base.
Cauliflower rice will impress even the biggest rice fans, and is so convincing that they won’t believe you when you tell them you used cauliflower instead! Plus, it provides more health benefits than traditional rice – cauliflower is high in vitamins C, K, and B6, and also provides folate, potassium, fiber, manganese, and phosphorus.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ½ Vidalia onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove leaves and stem from cauliflower; discard. Grate the entire head of cauliflower until it resembles rice.
- Dice the onions and garlic to your desired size.
- Add coconut oil to a pan over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic until slightly browned.
- Add in grated cauliflower, salt, and pepper and stir until heated.