Normally when you think muffins, you may think “not Paleo!” because most traditional muffin recipes use wheat flour as their base. But you know I wouldn’t send you a recipe packed with wheat flour! Instead of wheat flour, this recipe uses almond flour and ground walnuts, two perfectly Paleo foods, plus you get added protein and fiber. Bonus!
And when I have a breakfast muffin, I want a bit of sweetness. Instead of using white refined sugar to make these muffins, this recipe calls for honey, a less processed and more Paleo-friendly way to make your meals a bit sweeter. Of course, carrots have a bit of natural sugar that adds to the subtle sweetness of these muffins.
When I offered one of these muffins to my mom for breakfast a few weeks ago she had a good laugh. “You’re having breakfast and it has carrots in it?!” You see, my parents had two epic battles with me involving food during the entirety of my childhood. The first involved breakfast foods. I hated breakfast foods. If I occasionally eat eggs and bacon as an adult, I absolutely refused as a kid. So most of my breakfasts tended to be sandwiches or soup when I was a kid.
The second battle involved carrots. I hated carrots. I mean, HATED. They tried everything to get me to eat carrots. My mom would sneak them into spaghetti sauce or shred them so thin she thought I couldn’t pick them out of a salad. But I stood my ground – for years. I’ve softened my stance as an adult (I still will not eat those baby carrots) but my mom thought my carrot muffins were finally all her efforts during my childhood coming to fruition.
Here’s the secret, though: these muffins have a hint of carrot flavor, but between the nut flours, the honey, and the raisins, they are really just a sweet, healthy, breakfast that you can enjoy a cup of tea with or grab as you head out the door to work. So whether you’re looking for an alternative to your regular breakfast or trying to pack more vitamins and nutrients into every meal, you should definitely give these muffins a try!
(Make this next: Egg Muffins in Prosciutto Cups)
- 1 cup (firmly packed) ground walnuts
- ½ cup (firmly packed) almond flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup raisins
- For topping (optional)
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- To hydrate raisins, place raisins with 1 teaspoon of water in a microwavable bowl, cover with a lid and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 6-cup muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a bowl mix almond flour, ground walnuts, cinnamon and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs with honey. Add almond -walnut mixture and mix well.
- Add carrots and coconut oil and mix.
- Gently fold in raisins.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Sprinkle with extra raisins and chopped walnuts if using.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack, and enjoy!