Nutrient-Dense, Low-Calorie Ingredients
Every single ingredient in this soup serves an important purpose. The olive oil serves as the soup’s base, adding a nice dose of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats to help protect against cardiovascular disease while making sure the soup is nice and satiating. (1) Onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, tomatoes, and a bell pepper are added to make sure you get a nice and healthy colorful mix of vegetables to help you meet your vitamin and mineral requirements.
A paleo-friendly homemade chicken or beef broth is included to really add some flavoring to the soup. In addition to making the recipe taste better, bone broth has numerous health benefits as well thanks to the collagen content. It’s fantastic for your joints and cartilage and may have use in helping treat conditions such as osteoarthritis. (2)
And finally, we come to the herbs and spices added in at the end to really make the soup burst with flavor. Cumin, red pepper flakes, and parsley round out the whole recipe by adding a slightly spicy kick to it while boosting the nutritional value up even higher. Cumin, in particular, is quite a potent spice and has many applications in helping to prevent certain types of diseases. (3) All of these carefully chosen ingredients work together to create a delicious cabbage soup that makes losing weight easier while providing your body with everything that you need to stay healthy while doing so.
Going on a weight loss diet doesn’t have to be dreadful. By sticking to some simple and effective paleo principles and wisely choosing the meals that you eat, it can be an enjoyable process full of successes for you. This cabbage weight loss soup is a perfect meal to add to your weight loss efforts, along with regular exercise and maintaining proper hydration.
PS. If you’re looking for some other great nutrient-dense soups to make while you’re on your paleo or weight loss journey, here’s a few other recipes to help get you started:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 head cabbage (about 3 pounds), chopped
- 3 cups homemade chicken or beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt, black pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, green pepper, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and water.
- Mix to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30- 40 minutes.
- Add ground cumin, red pepper flakes and chopped parsley. Mix to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- May be stored in the refrigerator for a week.