Using frozen mixed berries means you’ll save a little time in the morning – no washing and cutting needed! – and you’ll get an assortment of berries without having to worry that you won’t eat them all before they go bad. Sometimes during the summer or early fall when berries are in season, I will over-buy and then prep the extra and put them in the freezer to use in recipes just like this one. You get the lower costs of in-season berries and you know they are fresh-frozen because you did it yourself!
These parfaits are made with my favorite Paleo granola recipe. I make the granola ahead of time over the weekend and then I can throw together these parfaits without too much trouble in the morning. Of course, you can use your own Paleo granola recipe, if you have one, but remember to stay away from store bought granola, as most kinds of store bought granola aren’t Paleo-friendly. There are exceptions to this, however, so read your labels and know what to look for.
You’ve probably seen similar parfaits before, made with yogurt, but since we stay away from dairy on the Paleo diet, the chilled coconut milk is a great substitute. You get all that creaminess with none of the dairy and an extra kick of coconut flavor in your parfait, which really brings it to the next level.
Although I do often make these granola and berry parfaits for myself for breakfast, I will admit that they take a bit more time than some people have in the mornings, even if you make the granola ahead of time. I know a lot of you are like me and want those few extra minutes of sleep so you tend towards grab-and-go breakfasts! But these parfaits are also a great Sunday brunch item.
Since brunch items can be heavy and meat-centric, the berries lighten it up a little. Plus, the granola gives it a great crunch and the coconut milk adds yet another texture dimension to the dish.
And even though these are called “breakfast” parfaits, I have to admit that I love them anytime of the day. In fact, I think they make a great substitute for an ice cream sundae! Sweet, tart, creamy, and crunchy – it hits all the right notes for a mid-afternoon treat, as far as I’m concerned.
So whether you’re Sunday brunching or taking a few minutes to make yourself a tasty and healthy breakfast or even looking for a treat-inspired afternoon snack, I highly recommend giving this breakfast granola recipe a shot. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
( Make this next: Homemade Gingerbread Paleo Granola )
- 2 (15-oz) cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups frozen berries plus extra for decoration
- 1 cup Paleo granola
- Chill a mixing bowl in a freezer for 30 minutes.
- To make the berry sauce in a medium skillet place the frozen berries, 2 tablespoons of honey and ½ tsp lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until it reaches a sauce-like consistency. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Take the bowl from the freezer, open the chilled cans of coconut milk and carefully scoop the coconut cream and place it into the chilled bowl.
- Beat the coconut cream, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoon of honey until smooth.
- Take 4 glasses. To assemble, place a coupes of dollops of coconut cream in each glass, then a tablespoon of berry sauce then two tablespoons of the granola. Continue layering in the same order until you use all the ingredients. Top with a few frozen or fresh berries, and serve.