Blood oranges have arrived and are featured in this salad, although regular oranges would work just as well. I like blood oranges because every single one is different in terms of how colorful the inside is. They are also full of vitamin C. When the oranges are paired with spinach, which is high in calcium and iron, they make a salad that is both flavorful and healthy.
The dressing adds a bright punch of flavor to the simple ingredients. It is easily made in the food processor. Within a minute, an orange can be transformed from solid fruit to citrus dressing. The zesty dressing adds a light and refreshing coating to the entire salad.
I do not eat raw salads all too often, but this salad is slowly convincing me otherwise. The dressing makes enough for several salads, and over a couple of days the spinach in my refrigerator has slowly disappeared because I keep returning to this recipe. You can eat this healthy salad for lunch and somehow it still feels indulgent – I have also added bacon and blueberries into the mix. It’s made with simple ingredients but still delivers sweet and tangy flavor.
If your life is a little crazy, it helps to have easy meals on hand that can be put together quickly. This is especially important if you’re trying to follow a regimented diet such as Paleo. This spinach and orange salad is great for all year long, but especially when you are in need of inspiration in the middle of winter. It is a treat in itself, quick to prepare and great for everyday meals.
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into sections
- 1/3 cup pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- For the dressing
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10 minutes, then drain.
- To make the dressing, place the orange, olive oil, vinegar, and salt into a food processor. Puree until smooth. Add the cilantro and pulse to incorporate.
- Toss the spinach, orange, dates, almonds, and red onion together in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.