The Perfect Marriage of Vegetables and Beef
This recipe features a perfect combination of vegetables to go along with a juicy pound of lean rump steak. It’s got it all — carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, rosemary, and of course the cauliflower that has been blended into an excellent pie crust substitute. Traditional pie crusts are made with ingredients such as refined flour, which can be a common cause of inflammation in many people. (1) As paleo diets cut out all refined flours due to their grain content, we had to come up with a way to make the perfect pie crust for this beef and vegetable pie.
Cauliflower – The Secret Ingredient in This Paleo Pie Crust
I’ve covered the great benefits of cauliflower ‘rice’ and all of its uses in paleo-friendly meals at length many times already. Whether it’s used as a straight up rice replacement or even used as a base for an alternative to bread dough in order to make yummy cauliflower toast, it truly does have many great uses in a paleo diet. Best of all, this paleo pie crust won’t trigger inflammation in your body like refined wheat would. Instead, cauliflower could actually help to lower inflammation due to its high antioxidant content. (2)
Country vegetable and beef pie is one of those old-fashioned meals that ticks all the boxes. It’s so full of flavor that even your kids will love it, vegetables and all. Weight watchers will be happy to note that this type of pie won’t add inches to the waistline, as it’s incredibly satiating and helps reduce abdominal fat due to the high vegetable content and healthy fats. Give this recipe a try. I’m almost 100 percent certain that it’ll become a staple in your household as it is in mine.
P.S. – If you’re looking for more great paleo recipes that make good use of beef combined with tasty vegetables, then look no further. I’ve listed a few of go-tos that I like to whip up every so often.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean rump steak, diced
- 10 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cup homemade or paleo approved store-bought beef stock
- 8 oz caned crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup cauliflower florets
- n a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced steak and cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the mushrooms and rosemary and cook for 5 min.
- Add the beef stock and crushed tomato and mix to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until the texture resembles rice.
- Add the remaining olive oil, good pinch of salt and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Spoon the beef mixture in a large baking dish and top with cauliflower.
- Bake for 40 minutes in preheated oven or until golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.