This is an extremely simple Paleo bread recipe to make. The batter does not take very long to blend together, and then it is transferred into a loaf pan to bake.
Just to note, I have altered my basic banana bread recipe a little bit from a previous post. I have made the recipe a few more times since then and improved upon it each time. In this recipe only 2-3 bananas are used, whichever amount is enough to equal one cup of mashed banana. The riper the bananas are, the better – the fruit adds easy substance and flavor to the loaf. Also, coconut oil is used instead of ghee because I believe it holds up better in baked goods.
The wet ingredients, including the mashed banana, are blended together first. I use a simple hand blender. The almond butter in this recipe is what makes the bread so dark. Cashew butter may also work if you do not have almond butter. (Peanut butter is not allowed on the Paleo diet.) In a separate bowl, the dry ingredients are mixed together before being added into the wet ingredients. Then the walnuts are folded in; include as many as you like.
Once transferred to the loaf pan, the bread bakes for about an hour. Use the toothpick test to figure out if the bread is ready to be pulled out of the oven. You don’t want dense moist bread, so use patience when baking. Let the banana nut bread cool completely, and yes I mean completely, before slicing it. Serve the crunchy banana loaf with almond butter, honey, or smothered with jam.
- 3 bananas, mashed, or 1 cup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, add the mashed bananas, eggs, almond butter, coconut oil, and vanilla. Use a hand blender to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Blend the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, scraping down the sides with a spatula. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan in an even layer. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the bread on a cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.