How to Make the Best Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
I used to think that crispy chicken and tons of oil go hand in hand, but this recipe is proof that that is not the case at all.
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Next, season your chicken thighs with just salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake this in the oven for 30 minutes while you make the sauce.
In a saucepan, combine the garlic, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, honey, minced garlic and chicken broth. Bring this to a boil and reduce the heat, simmering for another 5-10 minutes or until you notice the sauce thickening slightly.
This sauce? Let me tell you… It’s mouthwatering. I love it on its own, but it really helps to create that crisp texture on the outside. Brush your chicken with this and put it back in the oven on broil until crisp.
Chicken Thighs or Chicken Breasts – Can I Use Either?
Chicken breast is fine for this recipe, too, but I much prefer the flavor and fat content of chicken thighs. You want some fat in the meat to help keep it moist, especially since it’s going to broil at a high temperature at the end.
By using chicken breast pieces instead of chicken thighs, you’ll be able to cut down on some calories from fat (1), but bear in mind that you’ll also have less wiggle room in terms of baking and broiling time before it dries out!
Recommended Paleo-Approved Pairings
We love a good paleo-approved pairing, especially when it’s so much better than its not Paleo counterpart.
One of my absolute favorites is this Paleo Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe. You can leave the shrimp in and top it with the baked honey garlic chicken, or you can swap out the shrimp in the recipe and replace it with the chicken. Either option works fabulously.
You could also pair this with some Mashed Cauliflower, which is meant to be like mashed potatoes.
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Season the chicken thighs with garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to a lightly oiled baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Add the chicken broth, honey, minced garlic, coconut aminos and apple cider vinegar to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce reduces down and thicken slightly.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and brush it with sauce.
- Return the chicken to the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or vegetables with remaining sauce.