How to Make Bacon Zucchini Fritters
Here’s exactly what you’ll need to do in order to make these yummy paleo breakfast fritters:
- Cook the bacon. Add the bacon slices to a non stick pan and cook over medium heat until crisp.
- Crumble. Remove the bacon from the pan and crumble the bacon. I like to leave bigger pieces intact as well.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the prepared zucchini (see below for detailed instructions), bacon crumble, coconut flour, one lightly beaten egg, onion powder, and garlic powder to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste then prepare your cooking skillet.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Heat your choice of oil (I usually use olive oil) in a large non stick skillet.
- Cook. Scoop the prepared zucchini mixture onto the skillet using a ⅛ measuring cup. Press down on each fritter slightly to form it into a patty and cook for 2-3 minutes per side (or until golden brown).
- Serve. Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
How to Prepare Your Zucchini to Make Fritters
In order to get the zucchini ready to be used to make fritters, there are a few steps that you’ll have to do first:
- Prep. Thoroughly wash the zucchini and cut off any stems or leaves.
- Shred or grate your zucchini. Use your preferred method to either shred or grate the zucchini.
- Add salt. Add the zucchini and ½ teaspoon of salt to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Let the zucchini sit for about an hour.
- Drain. Squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as you can.
- Combine the shredded zucchini with the rest of the ingredients needed to make bacon zucchini fritters.
Can I Cook These Bacon Zucchini Fritters Ahead?
If you want to cook these bacon zucchini fritters ahead of time, that’s definitely an option as well.
Make sure the fritters have cooled completely after cooking and then keep them sealed inside of an airtight container. You’ll be able to keep them in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Just be aware that the zucchini will most likely lose some of its texture once you thaw it out.
How to Reheat Bacon Zucchini Fritters
If you need to reheat your zucchini fritters, I would recommend sticking them in the oven at around 350℉ and warming them through. The reason I recommend the oven is because zucchini is one of those tricky foods that tends to lose a lot of its texture when it thaws out.
That’s exactly why it’s so important to make sure that you’re being as thorough as you can be when you’re prepping the zucchini, both with giving the salt time to soak up the moisture content and then really making sure you’re squeezing out as much liquid as you can afterwards so it crisps up nicely when fried.
(You may also like: Healthy Oven Baked Apple Fritters)
- 4 cups grated/shredded zucchini
- ½ tsp salt plus extra for seasoning
- 6 bacon slices
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp oil of choice for frying
- Add the bacon to a non stick pan and cook until crisp over medium heat..
- Remove from the pan and crumble.
- In a large bowl add the zucchini and ½ teaspoon of salt and mix to combine.
- Let sit for minimum 1 hour.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- In a large bowl add the prepared zucchini, bacon, coconut flour, egg, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Scoop the mixture out using a 1/8 measuring cup into the skillet.
- Press down on each fritter slightly to form a small patty.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with your favorite sauce and toppings like sliced green onions, chili etc.