How to Make the Most Addictive Sweet Potato Nuggets
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. In a bowl, combine your ketchup, maple syrup and olive oil. This will make up the flavoring of your sweet potato and will give it that nice caramelization on the outside. Toss your sweet potato cubes in and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
Carefully wrap each cube in a slice of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Once each piece is wrapped, place them all on a baking sheet and bake until the sweet potatoes are tender and the bacon is crispy.
About halfway in, you’ll smell these cooking and it’s going to smell absolutely divine, believe me.
I Can’t Find Paleo Ketchup At the Store – What Can I Use Instead?
Don’t worry, you can make your own paleo ketchup at home. It’s actually quite easy and only takes a few minutes to make.
I posted my paleo ketchup with a kick here if you want to check it out.
Are Sweet Potatoes Paleo?
Here’s a fun fact: sweet potatoes are only distantly related to the white potato. (1) They are both tuberous root vegetables, but they’re actually from different plant families with different nutrient profiles.
This also means that both sweet potatoes and white potatoes have different effects on one’s blood sugar once eaten.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Yes, sweet potatoes are considered paleo approved and definitely something you should incorporate into your cooking.
My Sweet Potatoes Ended Up Hard in the Center and Not Tender At All
Not all potatoes were created equal. In case your sweet potato nuggets end up being anything less than tender by the end of this recipe, you may want to leave it baking for a minute or two longer.
Make sure to keep a close eye on the bacon to ensure it doesn’t burn!
More Crave-worthy Sweet Potato Ideas:
- 2 medium organic sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp homemade or store-brought paleo spicy ketchup plus extra for serving
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound thin bacon slices
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a bowl combine the ketchup, maple syrup and olive oil.
- Add the sweet potato cubes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Wrap each sweet potato cube with a slice of bacon.
- Secure with toothpick.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender and bacon is crispy.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve warm with extra ketchup.
More Yummy Paleo Sweet Potato Recipes to Try
- Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes (I Heart Umami)
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Hot Pan Kitchen)
- Paleo Sweet Potato Muffins (Erin Lives Whole)
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Thyme and Joy)
- Paleo Sweet Potato Fritters (Fed + Fit)
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Mousse (The Banana Diaries)