What We Love About Avocado Fries
Crispy yet creamy texture: Did you see those perfectly crunchy coconut crusts? And the avocado on the inside is so creamy, like a small taste of heaven. I guarantee you’ll LOVE them.
Healthier: Avocado contains fats that are better for your heart and are overall healthier than french fries.
Perfect for finger food parties: Finger foods are usually a hit at parties. Serve these mouthwatering avocado fries while they are hot and steaming, and you’ll be getting so many requests for the recipe.
How to Make Avocado Fries
Prepare the avocado slices: Slice the avocado into half and slice each half again into six slices. Sprinkle the avocado slices with salt and set aside.
Create the batter: Mix almond flour, salt, smoked paprika, and chili flakes in a shallow bowl. Put the shredded coconut and eggs into separate shallow bowls, perfect for dipping.
Prepare for frying: Dip each slice of avocado first into the eggs, then the almond flour mixture, back into the eggs, and finally in the coconut. Add the batter-covered slices into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Make-Ahead and Reheating Instructions:
To Make-Ahead: It’s best to make avocado fries fresh. You can cover them in batter and store the batter-covered avocado pieces in an air-tight container until you’re ready to fry them. Alternatively, you can keep your fried avocado fries in an airtight container for up to 24 hours and simply reheat them.
To Reheat: Leftover or reheated fries will never be as good as freshly made fries, but it works. Simply preheat your oven to 390ºF and bake your fries for 5 to 7 minutes to get some of the crunchiness back.
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ½ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- coconut or avocado oil for frying
- lice each half of avocado into 6 slices.
- Sprinkle the slices with ¼ tsp salt.
- Combine the almond flour, salt, smoked paprika, chili flakes and remaining salt in a shallow plate.
- Place the eggs and shredded coconut in separate shallow plates.
- Dip each slice of avocado in eggs, then coat in almond flour mixture and then back into the eggs followed by shredded coconut.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the avocado slices.
- Fry the avocado slices, in batches, 60 – 90 seconds or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Use an air fryer: If you don’t have an oven, no problem. Simply use your air fryer. You’ll need to heat it to a temperature of 390ºF and flip the avocado slices halfway through to ensure they cook evenly. The cooking time is about 7 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Pick a firm but ripe avocado: It’s best if it is slightly soft to the touch with dark green or purple-green skin. Dark purple, mushy avocados will be challenging to work with and might fall apart during frying.
Cut decent-sized avocado slices: Don’t try to make more fries by cutting really thin avocado slices. Thin slices are challenging to crum since they fall apart easily. They are also exceptionally difficult to fry for the same reason. Instead, stick to decent-sized slices and use a second avocado if you want more.
Substitute with milk: If you can’t have egg, try dipping the avo slices in milk first before applying the batter. You can also experiment with different kinds of milk for a slightly different flavor.
More Good Baked Avocado Fries Recipes
High Protein Avocado Fries Recipe
If you want an avocado fry recipe that’s also baked, but higher in protein, try this easy recipe.
2 medium avocados
¼ cup almond milk
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
¼ tsp chili flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
1/3 cup almond flour
2 tbsp golden flax seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the flax seeds and sesame seeds in a coffee grinder and grind coarsely. Transfer the mixture in a pie plate, add the oregano, nutritional yeast and pinch of salt. Mix to combine. In another pie plate, combine the almond flour, sweet smoked paprika, chili flakes, salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Cut each half into 4 slices then cut each slice into half.
4. Press the avocado slices into spicy almond flour mixture then dip into almond milk. Press the slices into sesame-flax seed mixture.
5. Place avocado slices on prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown then flip and bake for 2 minutes more.
6. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.