This year I have been searching for a healthy substitution for Halloween candy that didn’t make me feel like I was missing out on all the sweetness. I believe these apple bites are the perfect solution for that. You can easily serve them as an appetizer or snack. Dip the apple pieces in melted dark chocolate and then cover with your favorite topping – it really takes no time at all to prepare! And it will keep you from reaching for all those bags of candy.
I got inspiration for this treat from caramel apples, as it might be obvious. Making a big batch of Paleo caramel is much more complicated than I wanted to try, so I landed on dark chocolate instead. The tart green apples pair very well with the silky dark chocolate. Use high quality (paleo-approved) chocolate for better results; at least 72 percent cacao. And then of course caramel apples are usually sprinkled with some sort of extra goodies, so I followed suit for this recipe as well.
After the apple pieces are dipped in chocolate, you can either leave them as they are or sprinkle them with extra crunch. In this recipe I offer three different toppings: chopped walnuts, chopped cashews, and mini dark chocolate chips. Coconut flakes would also be delicious sprinkled over the chocolate-dipped apple. I believe the kids would be more than happy to help out with that part, and perhaps even get excited about this sugar-free treat.
Want more paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 categories, it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 3 oz. dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp cashews, chopped
- 1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- Wash the apples and pat dry with a paper towel. Use a tablespoon or melon baller to cut out small rounds from the apples. Place into a bowl with the lemon juice and enough cold water to cover. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave and stir until smooth.
- Prepare a long sheet of wax paper on the counter. Drain the apple pieces and pat dry. Use a toothpick to dip the apple pieces into the melted chocolate. Place onto the wax paper. Sprinkle with toppings of choice. Repeat with remaining apples. If desired, place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
|Vitamin A||1.5 µg|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
|Folic Acid (B9)||3.6 µg|