Healthy Homemade Almond Chicken Seasoning
Chicken is a great source of protein for paleo enthusiasts thanks to the variety of ways in which it can be prepared. While it can certainly be enjoyed baked on its own, I much prefer sprucing it up a little bit by making my own homemade seasonings. For this recipe, the almond chicken seasoning is both healthy and easy to prepare, matching the simplicity of the rest of the recipe. All you need are almonds and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary with the stems removed. Combine them both in a food processor and blend them until they resemble crumbs. Then simply dip your chicken in eggs and dredge them in the mixture.
I love this seasoning mixture because not only does it make the chicken breasts incredibly flavorful, but it’s extremely healthy as well. Almonds are loaded with healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. In fact, with daily consumption, the healthy fats in almonds have been shown to improve healthy cholesterol levels. (1) The rosemary provides some awesome benefits as well thanks to its antibacterial properties and antioxidant rosmarinic acid content that help to lower inflammation and protect against many types of disease. (2) As you can see, not only does it help make your chicken even tastier, but it really provides some amazing health benefits as well.
These almond chicken breasts are wonderful on their own as is, but this recipe takes things a step further by including a delicious mix of green beans, onions, and garlic tossed in olive oil for even more healthy fats as well. These tasty vegetables add fiber to your diet, which promotes satiety, regularity, and a healthy gut. That way, you’re left with stable energy and a full stomach without heaps of calories–a win-win.
P.S. – If you’re looking for more great paleo-friendly chicken meals like this one, then you might enjoy some of these recipes:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 7 oz each)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup almonds
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, stems removed
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus extra for greasing
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a food processor place the almonds and rosemary and pulse until almonds resemble coarse crumbs.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Dip each chicken piece in eggs then dredge in the almond-rosemary mixture, lightly pressing to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken onto a lightly greased baking tray.
- Brush the chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl place the green beans, spring onions, garlic and remaining olive.
- Season with salt and toss to combine.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Arrange the green beans around the chicken in a single layer.
- Broil on medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the green beans with lemon juice and serve.
|Vitamin A||140.7 µg|
|Vitamin C||35.2 mg|
|Folic Acid (B9)||128.1 µg|