Three Layers Of Healthy Goodness
These bars are perfect because each and every layer is made with carefully selected ingredients that not only make one great tasting snack but also provide you with some fantastic health benefits as well.
The base is prepared first by blending the almonds and flaxseeds together first and then adding the rest of the ingredients in. It makes a coarse breadcrumb-like texture that has the perfect combination of healthy omega-3 fats from the almonds and flaxseeds while being naturally sweet thanks to the dates.
Next up is the ‘caramel’ mixture that uses almond butter, tahini, coconut oil, and honey. By combining all of these ingredients in a food processor, you end up with a deliciously sweet mixture that is nearly identical in consistency to real caramel. The only exception is that it is a far healthier sweet tasting alternative. Where traditional caramel contains quite a bit of sugar, which leads to blood sugar highs and lows, the sesame seeds contained in this ‘caramel’ along with the base of the bars help to keep blood pressure low. (1)
Paleo Chocolate Glaze
Finally, we come to the homemade chocolate glaze. Extremely simple to make, it merely requires melting coconut oil and sugar-free paleo approved dark chocolate together. They combine to make a delicious chocolate coating that adds a faint taste of coconut to these bars that paleo fans will love. They also add a moderate amount of fats into these bars as well, making them a snack option that not only provides you with plenty of fuel, but will leave you feeling totally satiated as well.
Tip: Use a Food Processor
While you could use a blender for this recipe, I highly recommend using a food processor if you have one. It will help incorporate the ingredients without liquifying it or applying too much heat to it. When dates are heated, they mixture becomes wetter and stickier, which could make the molding process more difficult.
There’s nothing quite like enjoying a delicious snack totally guilt-free because all the ingredients are considered paleo-approved. It’s undoubtedly one of the best things about being on a paleo diet. These almond caramel bars are a perfect example of a snack that’s good for you — providing you with plenty of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals all in one perfectly sweet package. They can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks as well, meaning you can make plenty in advance so you’re able to grab a snack whenever you’re in a hurry later on.
PS. If you’re looking for even more great recipes like this one to make awesome paleo-friendly snack and energy bars, we’ve got you covered with plenty of great options. If you’re looking for the perfect post-workout snack, check out these simple no-bake paleo protein bars. Or, if you’re looking for a paleo bar that’s bursting with a delicious nutty flavor, then check out these hummingbird bars. And if you’re looking for even more variety, then check out this list of 40 out of this world homemade energy bars. You’ll surely find something to enjoy on it.
- For the base
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup flaxseeds
- 10 fresh dates, pitted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- For the caramel
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- For the glaze
- 4 oz sugar free, dairy free paleo approved dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- To make the base, place the almonds and flaxseeds in a food processor and pulse until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Add the dates and vanilla extract and pulse until the mixture comes together. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with with parchment paper.
- Firmly press the mixture into the pan and level it of with a spoon or a spatula.
- To make the caramel, combine all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the base and freeze for minimum one hour.
- To make the chocolate glaze melt the chocolate and coconut oil over very low heat.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the chocolate glaze over the caramel layer.
- Smooth with spatula.
- Freeze for another hour, then cut into small bars.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
|Vitamin A||0.9 µg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid (B9)||12.3 µg|