Instead of starting your day with something sweet or sugary, try a delicious savory Paleo muffin. They make a quick breakfast and are convenient for eating on-the-go. These gluten-free, dairy-free, even sugar-free muffins are also fantastic for a snack or served with dinner, especially if you miss having bread with your meal. Bacon with chives, or zucchini with sundried tomatoes are just two of the combinations that you can use in these tasty muffins.
The first way you can prepare the muffins is the bacon option. Yes, that’s right – bacon muffins. I look for any excuse to include bacon in yet another recipe. Cook up a couple slices of bacon and crumble. Add this to the batter along with some chopped chives, and mix well to incorporate. The batter should be nice and thick; you should almost be able to shape it with your hands. This version of the muffins is best right out the oven.
The second way to prepare tasty savory muffins is the vegetarian option. Or rather, the shredded zucchini and sundried tomato option. Try to squeeze out as much moisture from the shredded zucchini as possible before adding it to the batter. These muffins keep better in the refrigerator than the bacon ones if you make a large batch.
These are just two of countless different combinations that you can use to make savory muffins. You could add garlic, basil, chopped up ham, or prosciutto if you’re feeling fancy. The only thing about adding savory ingredients is that a little goes a long way. You not need very much bacon or zucchini or sundried tomatoes to get the flavors to shine.
For a breakfast with a lot less sugar and a whole lot of savory flavor, look no further than these Paleo muffins. They are a great way to start your day and will keep you full all morning; no mid-morning sugar crash. This recipe gives you two of many various ways that the muffins can be prepared – get creative!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 tbsp chives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with coconut oil spray. In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, and almond milk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Fold in either the zucchini and sundried tomatoes, or the bacon and chives.
- Evenly distribute the batter among 10 muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Servings: 10 muffins
- Difficulty: Medium
P.S. Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).