Instant recipe favorites are created when I cannot stop sampling a dish even while I am cooking it. So it was for this one-pot, creamy chicken skillet. This recipe is loaded with colorful vegetables, and could include even more if you feel up to it. Don’t wait to try this tender, creamy chicken that is dairy-free and very satisfying.
This dish will be repeated and enjoyed often, mainly because it is a hit with the whole family. I originally got inspiration from a recipe called chicken á la king, which is a hearty, creamy dish usually served with noodles. I couldn’t stop eating this version out of the pan, but the real recipe test (to me) is when non-Paleo people enjoy the dish as well. I can always tell which dishes are truly the most popular when the leftovers disappear within a day.
The bacon gets cooked in the skillet first, before it is removed to a plate lined with paper towels and crumbled for later. Then, after draining the majority of bacon grease (because we try to keep it a little healthy) the onion and chicken get browned in the pan. Added next are the bell peppers and mushrooms, although you could also add broccoli, zucchini, or squash, to name a few ideas. Get colorful!
The creaminess of the dish comes from adding a bit of coconut milk at the end. The coconut flavor disappears among all of the other delicious flavors in the skillet. Depending on your personal preference, you can either add a dash of water to thin out the sauce, or add arrowroot powder to thicken it more.
I enjoyed the contents of the skillet entirely on their own, as a quick and easy dinner for busy weeknights. If you would prefer a more well-rounded meal you could serve the chicken over cauliflower rice, with roasted sweet potato, or over some Paleo pasta.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 6 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 14.5-oz. can coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh kale, stems removed and shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and crumble. Set aside. Discard the bacon fat from the pan except for one tablespoon.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft. Push the onion to one side and add the chicken to the pan. Lightly brown the chicken, and then stir in the bell peppers and mushrooms. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the bacon.
- Add the white wine vinegar to the pan to deglaze. Add the coconut milk and kale. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the kale is wilted and the sauce is slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Servings: 3-4
- Difficulty: Easy
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).