This Paleo adaptation of spicy shrimp and grits is packed full of flavor and makes a hearty, satisfying meal. The grits are made with cauliflower and garlic so that it’s Paleo-approved. On top of the grits are spicy marinated shrimp and salty bacon. Although there are quite a few steps to this recipe, none of them are difficult, and the final result is definitely worth the effort.
My favorite part of this dish is actually the shrimp, which is bursting with flavor from a mixture of garlic, lemon, oregano, and red pepper flakes. I definitely recommend marinating the shrimp for the full three hours, or as long as possible. And the grits are also easy to make, similar to making mashed cauliflower, but a little less creamy. The grits only take about fifteen minutes to cook, and once the shrimp is done marinating everything comes together pretty quickly.
I also added a bit of cayenne to the grits to spice those up as well. Feel free to adjust the amount of cayenne, or the red pepper flakes in the shrimp to your own preferred spiciness level.
This is one of my go-to comfort food recipes, and I find myself turning to it more and more over the cold winter months. I usually make a double batch of the grits because they go with almost anything, or are even great on their own with a pat of butter. The classic combination of shrimp and grits gets a tasty, low-carb makeover for a comforting and hearty meal.
- 15 pieces raw shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced, divided
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl mix together the olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano. Place shrimp in the bowl and marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Place a couple inches of water in a large pot. Once water is boiling, place steamer insert and then cauliflower florets into the pot and cover. Steam for 12-14 minutes, until completely tender. Drain and return cauliflower to pot.
- Add the milk, ghee, and garlic to the cauliflower. Using an immersion blender, combine ingredients. The cauliflower should be fairly thick to resemble the consistency of grits. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Reserving the bacon fat in the pan, set the bacon aside to cool and break into pieces.
- Add the butter to the bacon fat in the pan and melt. Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add in the remaining 4 garlic cloves, dried oregano, and the red pepper flakes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar, and then add the shrimp. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve shrimp and onions over grits, with bacon and fresh oregano for garnish.
- Servings: 3-4
- Difficulty: Medium
P.S. Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).