Soup season is definitely here. There are not many things that can warm you up quickly like a bowl of steaming hot soup. In this recipe, red peppers and tomatoes are paired with rosemary and thyme and roasted in the oven. The unique flavors of this combination are blended together to make a rich and healthy bowl of soup.
Roasting the peppers and tomatoes intensifies their flavors in this recipe. To start the vegetarian-friendly recipe, chop up the peppers and tomatoes and arrange them on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fresh rosemary and thyme also lend their flavors to the soup, so scatter the herbs over the vegetables on the baking sheet. Then roast everything together for 35-40 minutes.
At this point, you simply transfer everything on the baking sheet right into the blender. Add a little apple cider vinegar, tomato puree, and then broth. Blend until the soup reaches your desired consistency, and it’s that easy! I like a thick, creamy soup, but you can add more broth if you would like to thin it out (or you could even leave it chunky). Adjust the seasonings to taste and then serve while it’s still warm and steamy. Or, alternatively, the recipe can be easily doubled, and then packaged up to place in the freezer for a satisfying winter treat later in the season.
Roasted red pepper and tomato soup was one of my go-to soups to buy at Trader Joes until I realized how much better the homemade version tastes. The only problem with this soup is that I always want to eat about four grilled cheese sandwiches with it. It’s so simple – you roast some veggies in the oven, blend them, and out comes an amazing, tasty meal! The soup is a delicious first course, or makes a bright, healthy lunch.
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 3 red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Chop the peppers into quarters and remove the center. Slice the tomatoes and place onto a rimmed baking sheet with the bell peppers and garlic. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter the rosemary and thyme over the vegetables. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Transfer everything on the pan to a blender or food processor. Add the broth, tomato puree, and apple cider vinegar. Puree until smooth, adding more broth if necessary to reach desired consistency. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
- Servings: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).