Think back to your childhood for a second. What was the one vegetable that you always dreaded eating? For most people, Brussels sprouts are the first things that come to mind. For me personally, I had never even tried them until this past year – which was good, because I had no preconceived notions of how they would be (other than the old rumor that they were a miserable vegetable that must be avoided).
How wrong all you children were! The problem with Brussels sprouts is that most people just aren’t making them right. I will admit, they’re not the most exciting vegetable on their own. But throw in some spices, honey, and balsamic vinegar and I’ll bet you’ll have all the kids eating them.
I know this to be true because once I had finished baking them, a very skeptical sister of mine took one bite, said “these are actually pretty awesome”, and proceeded to eat more than ¾ of the bowl. Take that, boring childhood greens!
Brussels sprouts are packed full of tons of great nutrients. One serving provides more than 100% of your daily value of vitamins K and C, and they are also chock full of antioxidants, fiber, and protein.
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- This recipe makes 2 servings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray or spread with a light layer of olive oil.
- Halve the Brussels sprouts. Place in a mixing bowl and add in the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and spices. Toss with hands until fully coated.
- Pour Brussels sprouts onto baking sheet in one layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy! I like to sprinkle another bit of sea salt on them before eating.
- Calories: 153
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbs: 20.5g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 4.2g
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).