Sometimes you just really want a burrito. And I don’t mean that you necessarily want to eat the 800+ calories that usually come with a burrito. You just crave that vehicle for flavor, the onions, peppers, etc., wrapped up in a neat tortilla. You get to choose your fillings, the type of salsa, and make it your own. But burritos are normally made with a ton of rice, cheese, and well, wrapped in a flour tortilla. So here I’ve come up with a great way to still get all of that flavor but in a Paleo-friendly way. This breakfast burrito made with egg and flaxseed is perfect for a tasty, filling morning meal.
The tortilla for this recipe isn’t made with any kind of flour. Instead, eggs and flaxseed meal are mixed together and carefully cooked to form a tortilla for wrapping the burrito. I figured that I would want eggs with my breakfast burrito anyways, so I incorporated them into the actual tortilla. The flaxseed meal helps to hold the eggs together and adds a lot of fiber and omega-3s to the dish. You start by cooking the tortilla on the stove and then finish it under the broiler. The key is to carefully use a spatula to run around the edges and underneath the tortilla while it cooks so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
This recipe makes two burritos, but it takes a little patience to make the tortillas so it’s not exactly something you would want to make on-the-go. You definitely don’t want to skip the last step of baking it for 5 minutes, because otherwise the burrito is more likely to fall apart on you.
Use whatever fillings you prefer! I had leftover tilapia and mango salsa, so I added that to my burrito along with some spinach, red pepper, and avocado. You could also add onion, sausage, ground beef…the possibilities are endless. The morning breakfast burrito is back, and waiting for you to make it your own.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tsp ground flaxseed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup baked tilapia or other protein
- Handful of spinach leaves
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the tortilla. Preheat the oven broiler.
- Heat a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat well with coconut oil spray. Pour half of the tortilla mixture into the pan and swirl to evenly distribute. Using a metal spatula, loosen the edges of the tortilla from the pan. Cook a couple of minutes until golden brown on the bottom, and then carefully slide the spatula under the tortilla to loosen it from the bottom of the pan. Do not flip yet.
- Place the pan under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the tortilla gets a little bubbly. Remove the tortilla from the pan, setting on a piece of aluminum foil. Repeat with other half of tortilla mixture.
- After the tortillas are done broiling, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a separate small pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for 5-8 minutes, until soft. Add the spinach into the pan and wilt.
- Place all of the fillings down the center of the tortillas and wrap tightly. Place into the oven for 5-8 minutes to set the shape of the tortilla. Enjoy!
- Servings: 2
- Difficulty: Medium
P.S. Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).