Going back to the basics can have amazing results. These simple chocolate-dipped dates are bursting with flavor in each bite. Moist coconut filling or crunchy almonds provide the filler for these sweet treats, your choice.
There is no complicated part to this recipe. The dates take about 10 minutes to make and 20-30 minutes to chill in the refrigerator. The ingredients are simple but the taste is amazing; it’s almost not a recipe, it’s so easy, but I just had to share the sweet concoction on Paleo Grubs. The more people that know about this quick and tasty snack, the happier we will all be.
Medjool dates are becoming very popular in Paleo cooking. Their soft, chewy texture acts as a great binder for many different recipes, while at the same time adding natural sweetness. They provide fiber, iron, and potassium to your diet as well. In this recipe the dates keep their natural shape, first stuffed and then dipped in rich chocolate.
I use two different flavor combinations to stuff the dates. The first is chopped almonds, because almonds and dates are a winning combo. The chopped almonds go inside the dates before the dates are coated in melted dark chocolate. Sounding good yet? Then I topped each one with a sliced almond for a sort of garnish. This is a great option for those people out there who are not fans of coconut.
The second flavor combination is a sweet coconut flake mixture. This is a better option for anyone allergic to nuts. Simply blend unsweetened coconut flakes with maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon, and a teeny pinch of salt in a food processor. Spoon this mixture into the dates, dip into chocolate, and garnish with additional coconut flakes if you would like to finish them off.
Set the chocolate covered dates on a sheet of wax paper and transfer to the refrigerator to harden. The chocolate forms a thin flaky shell that melts in your mouth when you bite into it. Seriously, take the ten minutes to create this simple dessert and treat yourself.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 cups pitted Medjool dates
- 3 oz. paleo-approved dark chocolate
- Add the coconut flakes, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil to a food processor. Pulse until a smooth paste is formed. Set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet with wax paper. Make a slice in the dates and fill with a small amount of the coconut flakes mixture or the chopped almonds.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave along with the remaining coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Use a fork to dip the dates into the melted chocolate. Place onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional coconut flakes or chopped almonds if desired. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden. Serve cold.
- Servings: about 18 dates
- Difficulty: Easy
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).