It’s holiday time. Which means baking and more baking, usually. Cookie walks, cookie exchanges, cookies as gifts. The Christmas radio station playing all afternoon (at least until your friend asks you to kindly ‘turn off that noise’). These Paleo chocolate cookies are a great gluten-free and nut-free option to share with everyone this season.
My parents seem to opt for all of the cookie-sharing possibilities. There’s cookie exchanges at work, the cookie walk at church, and then they make some for when the kids come home, of course. That’s a lot of cookies, and baking. But these days, there are a lot of gluten-sensitivities and allergies to worry about when passing around a plate of cookies. These chewy chocolate cut-out cookies – say that five times fast – offer a tasty alternative to share. Unless you are allergic to chocolate, in which case I am truly sorry.
Cut-out cookies are also a fun activity to make with kids. As I remember, they were fun to make as a kid as well, because it was really easy to sneak some of the cookie dough. This dough resembles more of a brownie batter and tastes just as delicious. It will need to cool in the refrigerator for about half an hour in order to harden.
The serving size will depend on the size of your cookie cutters, but just keep rolling out the dough until it’s all used up! Ideally, if I had a reindeer cookie cutter I would have used that. But alas, it is simple shapes for me. I think these chocolate cookies would also go great with some coconut cream frosting. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp and 2 tsp coconut oil
- 3 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and chocolate in the microwave, stirring intermittently. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and honey to the chocolate mixture. Stir well to make sure not to scramble the eggs. Add in the coconut flour and cinnamon and mix well. Place in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes, until slightly hardened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until 1/4-inch thick. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and carefully place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat this step for remaining dough.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
- Servings: approximately 18 cookies
- Difficulty: Medium
P.S. Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).