Usually when I come across food that is labeled as gluten-free, vegan, and raw, I am skeptical about whether I will like it. But this recipe matches all of those descriptions, and it has become my favorite holiday treat yet. I am talking about the flavors of chocolate and peppermint, together in one bite. No cooking required, all natural ingredients. And do not worry, all of you fellow Paleo followers out there, there is no actual candy cane in this recipe. Nor it is needed. The simple trick of peppermint extract gives these raw round bites just the flavor you are looking for.
The secret ingredient in these candy cane bites is dried goji berries. The goji berries provide the bright pop of color in the candy cane bites. I had never tried them before this recipe, but was pleasantly surprised. The slightly sweet berries are abundant in antioxidants, so I may try to find more ways to incorporate them into future recipes.
First I broke up the goji berries in the food processor to smash them into smaller pieces. I put the berries aside in a bowl, and blended the rest of the ingredients next. Speaking from experience, definitely break up the dates before adding the remaining ingredients. Otherwise there will be lumps of dates in your candy cane bites. Once the rest of the ingredients have formed into a dough, fold in the goji berries. Please feel free to add more cocoa powder as well for an even more chocolaty taste.
I love recipes such as this, with no cooking is required. Everything is mixed together raw and then placed in the refrigerator to harden. All that is left is using your hands to roll the dough into small bite-size balls. I have been snacking on them all week. They taste like candy, and you get to indulge completely guilt-free.
- 1/3 cup dried goji berries
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the dates in water for ten minutes. Place the goji berries into a food processor and pulse to break into smaller pieces. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the dates into the food processor and pulse to break into small pieces. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until everything is completely combined. Add the dough to the bowl with the goji berries and fold in the berries with a spatula. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set.
- Use your hands to form the dough into small balls. Serve cold.
- Servings: 8-10 bites
- Difficulty: Easy
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).