Chicken and rice is a classic, comforting meal combination that requires only one pan to make. This delicious recipe adds green chiles to the mix to spice things up a bit. Cozy up with a bowl of this delicious green chile chicken and rice for a comforting, satisfying dinner.
This recipe mostly uses ingredients that are usually already in my pantry, which I like. Chicken, check. Cauliflower, check. I just have to pick up a couple of poblano chiles and I am set to go. Similar to other kinds of peppers, poblanos can vary in their level of spiciness. The dark green chiles can be very mild or very hot. Perhaps try a little piece when you are preparing them to determine how spicy they are. That way you can adjust the amount added to the pan based on your preferred level of spiciness.
The first step for the recipe is to brown the chicken thighs in a skillet over medium-high heat. You then set those aside as the chiles are cooked. Heat a bit of olive oil in the same skillet and sauté the onion and poblanos. Then add in the cauliflower rice, along with a bit of chicken broth. I did not include instructions for ricing the cauliflower because by this point I have included it in many many recipes, but if you need to, you can find instructions for that here.
The next step is to add the chicken back into the pan and cover it with a lid. Then cook everything together for 15 or 20 minutes – I believe it took about 18 minutes for my chicken to cook all the way through. Stir in a small truckload of cilantro, and then spoon into bowls to serve steaming hot.
The convenient entrée is easy to make and easy to clean up, easily customizable and even perfect for new cooks. When craving a big bowl of comfort food, look no further than this recipe for green chile chicken and rice.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in the pan. Brown on both sides for 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the same skillet. Add the onion and poblanos and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add the chicken broth, cauliflower rice, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Place the chicken on top of the rice. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the chicken is completely cooked through and the rice is soft. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve warm.
- Servings: 4-6
- Difficulty: Medium
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).