Comforting, crumbly scones are a popular breakfast food, especially alongside a cup of coffee. This grain free and Paleo blueberry scones recipe is easy to make and has a list of straightforward ingredients. This is Paleo baking at its finest.
The dry ingredients are stirred together first. In a separate bowl, the wet ingredients can be whisked together. This includes the eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Once the mixture is whisked, you can add in the dry ingredients. If the dough seems at all dry you can add in a dash more of almond milk.
Once the dough is together, fold in the blueberries gently. Form the dough into a large ball, which I do with the help of a spatula. Then transfer the ball to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten out the ball of dough into a wide flat circle, and use a sharp knife to cut six wedges.
At this point the baking sheet can be placed in the oven to bake. The scones take about 25 minutes to reach a golden brown color. Watch closely to make sure they do not get too brown, and at the same time they should not be too soft in the middle. I think the scones are best when they are enjoyed warm right out the oven. However you could also make a batch to enjoy for breakfast throughout the week. The scones keep well in the refrigerator, and are still delicious reheated.
I also decided to make a glaze for this batch of scones. It’s not necessary but adds a decadent topping. I simply whisked together coconut cream (skimmed from the top of a can of chilled coconut milk) with vanilla and maple syrup, tasting along the way until it reached a good balance. Instead of a glaze, you could also drizzle the scones with melted chocolate, or perhaps mix some lemon zest into the batter. This is a breakfast treat that you’ll be making over and over again.
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until combined. If the mixture is dry, add a few more drops of almond milk. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the dough into a ball and place onto the baking sheet. Flatten the ball slightly, and carefully cut into six equal wedges. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Servings: 6
- Difficulty: Medium
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).