French fries are perhaps the ultimate finger food. A staple addition to pretty much every meal you can order whenever you go out to eat, they’ve earned their reputation based on the fact they are indeed quite tasty. However, when prepared as they are in many chain restaurants or even bought frozen from the grocery store, they are an exceedingly unhealthy food option high in trans fats and carbs. Anyone who has been following a paleo diet regularly knows to steer clear of fries normally…but what if there was a way to enjoy a great tasting finger food that was similar to french fries? Thanks to these crispy and creamy avocado fries, you just might have found the perfect replacement.
Monounsaturated Fats, Not Trans Fats
It’s common knowledge that trans fats can cause negative health effects, especially with regular consumption. Initially, they were believed to be a safe replacement for the types of saturated fats found in butter, however studies showed otherwise. They increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol, and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol. (1) Not exactly an ideal choice when it comes to trying to enjoy a tasty finger food. What’s worse is they’re hidden in seemingly every type of packaged food product, found in cookies, chips, French fries, margarine…the list goes on and on.
Avocadoes, on the other hand, are an excellent source of monounsaturated fatty acids, which unlike trans fats, actually help to keep your heart healthy. (2) They are incredibly nutritious, as they are full of vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. When fried, they have a texture that’s simultaneously crispy while remaining deliciously creamy on the inside. Coating them in the mixture of salt, paprika, chili flakes, and almond flour adds another layer of texture and flavor to these fries, making them an ideal finger food replacement. They’re great on their own or you can also serve them with your favorite paleo-friendly sauce.
I love having a good appetizing finger food whenever I’m out enjoying a meal with friends or family. There’s nothing like a basket of paleo chicken wings and some fries after a long workweek. After trying out these fried avocados though, I can honestly say I don’t miss French fries as much. Served on their own or with sauce, they are simply delightful.
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ½ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- coconut or avocado oil for frying
- lice each half of avocado into 6 slices.
- Sprinkle the slices with ¼ tsp salt.
- Combine the almond flour, salt, smoked paprika, chili flakes and remaining salt in a shallow plate.
- Place the eggs and shredded coconut in separate shallow plates.
- Dip each slice of avocado in eggs, then coat in almond flour mixture and then back into the eggs followed by shredded coconut.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the avocado slices.
- Fry the avocado slices, in batches, 60 – 90 seconds or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Want more Paleo recipes? Take a look at the Paleo Grubs Book. With 470+ easy-to-prepare Paleo recipes in 17 comprehensive categories it is the only Paleo book you will ever need.
+ Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get our latest healthy recipes delivered weekly (it's free).